Sand ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This may be a dumb question but I'll ask anyway
/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

What kind of sand do you use? I mean, should I go to home Depot and buy a bag of sand or is there junk in that sand that may ruin/poison the food that is cooking?

I know that I buy special sand for my kid?s sandbox. Does it matter for cooking?

Thanks!
Craig

Sandbox sand is fine, as long as it's relatively clean, and hasn't been used by cats as a litterbox. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I dunno, ever smoked a kitty deposit before? I hear EVERYTHING tastes better Q'd! (I realize this has gone far enough, but what kind of rub would you use, anyway?) /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously though, this is a good question. Are there any types of sand out there one should avoid, such as one with a high powdered silica content? I know sand is just crushed rock, but as with the asbestos scare, could we inadvertantly be subjecting ourselves to potential problems?

I use sandbox sand, because I figure it's got to be non-toxic, or there'd be lawsuits /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif . You should cover it with foil anyway, to catch the grease.
Sandbox sand has got to be better than taking a shovel & pail to the beach...

I was serious when I asked this question. When I had my first kid I bought her a sandbox. I researched what kind of sand to put in the box. There was definite recommendations against using the type of sand used in construction. I eventually went to Toys R Us and got sand there. You have to figure that if sand is made to put in a sandbox it can?t be toxic in case a kid eats some.

The only problem is that Sandbox sand comes in 50 lb bags. Much more then we need to fill our water bowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back