Sand & temp question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe. P

TVWBB Member
Hi all
I was wondering if people are seeing higher temps at top grate or the bottom when using sand rather that water?

Seems it is true for water , But I have switched to sand and not sure if there will be a difference

Ciao
-Joe

Hey Joe..... (always wanted to say that)

No difference. Sand better. Less messy, doesn't run out.

Use sand. Always.

Good Luck!

Joe

IME I have actually seen higher temps on the bottom with sand in contrast to water. After the sand gets to a certain temp, you will get a radient effect. I don't think it really causes any difference in a cook, but I have heard you need to be careful with a brisket on the bottom.

Sand does have many advantages but it takes some getting use to and you have to control temp on the way up. If it gets away from you it's a problem. I use it primarily now, but sometimes I use my large Brinkman pan with water.

Good luck with the sand if you decide to try it.

Paul

I've noticed the same thing as Paul. Sand doesn't have the self-limiting temperature that water does, so temps can spike faster. And hotter. Especially on the bottom. A crunchy bottom on a brisket once taught me this the hard way. /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

You just have to be a little more observant of temp directions with sand, I find.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back