Sand stuck in the pan - really stuck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck DC

I have to do a last minute 10 lb shoulder for a party tomorrow.
I was checking out Steve's post about his no water, no sand in the pan 19 hr butt and thought I would give it a try and post the results.

I went to knock the sand out of my pan. It won't budge, I banged it, I dropped it (on the grass), banged it on the deck, nothing.
I even tried chiseling it out.
I don't have enough time to chisel it out, it is almost as hard as concrete.
I refoiled the pan and put the shoulder on.

To be fair I didn't change the sand this year and even though it is foiled it does leak sometimes.

I don't think I'll even bother trying to break it out. I'll just pick up a new one or maybe the ECB pan to try.

Anyone else have this problem, or have an easy way to break it out?

PS
It might dip into the 30's tonight, might have to refuel in the middle of the night?

Thanks,

Chuck

Yeah, I chiseled it out. It looked tough, but a few strategically placed blows and it was out.

If you have a rubber mallet or a soft piece of wood, try turning it upside down and rapping on the pan all around - many small blows. Kinda like vibrating it out.

Or just cover the "cement" block with foil and charge full speed ahead - BBQ! Good luck.

Chuck,
If it is stuck that bad you may have some nasty grease, sugar, spices and stuff in the bottom of that bad boy. Once you start cooking it might start stinking and taint your meat! In the future you may want to foil the sand in the pan prior to cooking! Good luck!
icon_biggrin.gif

Chuck, use 2 layers of HD foil and change every 2 or 3 cooks. You could grow some nasty stuff in there. I usually remove a small 'lump' of sand when I change foil.

Chuck, I ran into the same problem when using only one layer of foil. I thought that getting the small lumps out was all I needed to do, then when I went to change sand I got a not so pleasant surprise--the same one that you got!

I started using two layers of HD foil on top like Steve, except I change it every time that I cook and the sand seems to stay cleaner. If that doesn't work I suppose I'll foil the pan before putting in any sand. I really do HATE a "rancid" smell.

Thanks for the info guys.

Larry & Tom,
I always refoil , but I guess I should double foil.
Steve ,
Change the sand every 2-3 cooks ? Sorry ain't gonna happen.
I like your empty pan idea or the foiled brick thing.
I can't say I've noticed any bad smells or tastes this year but better safe than sorry.
Is there any difference between the grunge (seasoning?) on the walls of the WSM and what's in the pan? Or are you the guys that power wash the inside after each cook
icon_smile.gif

I'll try to get it out on Sunday.

It's getting cold out there (40 F)

Thanks again

Chuck

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Is there any difference between the grunge (seasoning?) on the walls of the WSM and what's in the pan? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Whatever, its your food! Enjoy!
icon_wink.gif

Chuck, just change the foil and remove any clumps of sand(from a leak) not all the sand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back