Sand and Temp

Brian Trommater

TVWBB Super Fan
I am using sand for the first time in water pan. I am also using the new Kingford. I put a couple of butts on about 1.5 hours ago. I have two vents completely closed and the third just verily open. The temp is staying at 260. Does the sand tend to make the smoker run hotter?

Doesn't make it run hotter, but holds temp as a heat sink longer than water, and can be radiant to meat cooked on the bottom shelf.

In other words, it takes longer to bring temps down should there be a spike along the way.

Keep the vents shut down like you already have, the temp you are cooking at is fine. Temps should come down a bit shortly.

Bob, why only 1 inch of sand??<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob T.:
I only have about 1" of sand in the pan. That works good enough for me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you fill the pan with sand, and the temps do get a little high on you, it takes longer to recover IMO. I was also hoping that with less sand, it would be less of an issue using the bottom grate and the radiant heat burning the food there. I found no added value to filling the pan full of sand.

Temp has been running 280 all day. Not sure why I cant get temp down. I am glad I am cooking butts and not brisket. Everything seems like its fit together good. Checked probe and it is reading correctly. I filled pan up to about 1.5" from top with sand. The only thing I can figure is it is the charcoal. The 8lb butts have been on for 8 hrs now and are at 175. Hopefully will be ok. They are going to be for Saturday. Will reheat in friends offset wrapped in foil. How long will they take to reheat? He usually runs it at around 250.

Well butts turned out pretty good. Cooked alot faster than normal and a little drier. I am afraid now to do my briskets. I will make sure the door fits a little tighter but other than that I am not sure what to do. I have never had a problem keeping my temp at 220.

Back