Salt solution for Brining

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

What ratio of Salt to water do you guys use...I have used both 3/4cup Kosher to 1 Gallon of water as well as 1cup Kosher to 1 Gallon....One of those birds (turkeys) was alot better than the other...I just can't remember which...

1/2 cup per gallon for me. I dissolve 1 cup kosher salt and my other flavorings in a gallon of broth, and when cooled to room temp, cut it with another gallon of icewater to produce a 1/2 cup per gallon concentration.

1/2 cup of non-iodized table salt to 1 gallon water
OR 3/4 cup Morton Kosher salt to 1 gallon of water
OR 1 cup Diamond Kosher salt to 1 gallon of water

These formulas are based on Cooks Illustrated's extensive experiments. Any of these will give you the proper solution for brining. I've used all of them, depending on what salt I have on hand. Always be sure to rinse the meat WELL in running water after brining.

I base my ratio on Alton Brown's Good Eats Roast Turkey recipe, and assume he's using Diamond Crystal when he refers to kosher salt. Has always worked satisfactorily for me. That recipe, however, calls for a 6 hour brine, whereas I usually go overnight-- 12-14 hours, which may be be worth noting.

Does anyone have experience with Windsor Kosher Salt? Or I guess in general, if it's not Morton or Diamond, how does one determine how much should be used? By weight?

Well thank you all so much for your input...I am not new to the sight as I have read the articles for about three years...just new to the forum...(don't know why I didn't join the forum sooner)...but I am glad to be here and again thanks for the help...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Shawn W:
Does anyone have experience with Windsor Kosher Salt? Or I guess in general, if it's not Morton or Diamond, how does one determine how much should be used? By weight? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not familiar with Windsor, but re: your other question, yes, by weight.

The answer to my question is in Chris's All About brining :
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> For sea salts and other brands of kosher salt, use a kitchen scale to measure 10 ounces of salt. That measure will be equivalent to 1 cup of table salt in terms of its saltiness <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <RTFM DA, Shawn said to himself ....>

thanks Kevin

I believe you an safely substitute an equivalent amount of Windsor brand kosher salt whenever Diamond Crystal kosher is called for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back