Salmon Steaks...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alan Bosch

TVWBB Fan
So this friend of mine asks me to smoke up six racks of ribs for him, in return for some fresh salmon that he hauled outta Lake Ontario. Yum, I'm thinking, smoked salmon fillets. So I smoked up his ribs this past Sunday and he dropped the salmon off at my desk this morning. About a dozen two inch thick steaks. At first I thought, darn! This'll never work. So I figuire I'll ask if anyone's ever smoked salmon steaks. What wood did you use? I don't have any alder...

Depending on feed back, I'm either going to smoke them all, or smoke some and save a few to be pan-seared with some cajun spices and served with a creamy dill sauce, new potatos roasted with butter & garlic, and a veggie medley from our garden.

Peace. Out.

Alan

I have used this web site to brine salmon before with great results. Here is the link.

http://www.3men.com/threemen1.htm
I think I used slightly less salt. Here is the brine I used.
Brine
1 gallon water
1 1/2 cup salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup lemon
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp allspice
1 tbsp dried thyme
2 tsp black pepper

I would use fruit wood as I have used apple and it came out great.

Alan
I did salmon steaks for a friend just a couple of weeks ago, it works but I'd rather do fillets also.
An alt. for brine is a dry method that Chris posted within the last year I think, in the recipe section. It's a recipe that Jack I have done very well with in competion.
Jim

I have done salmon steaks using the Brown Sugar Rub Chris has on the recipe site and following the same instructions. I use plum wood. They taste superb.

Jim, Jock, & Jeff...

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not a big fan of brines so I'm going to use the Brown Sugar rub Chris posted, using some apple that I have. I'll leet ya know how it turns out.

Again, thanks.

Peace. Out.

Alan Bosch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back