Salmon Smoke - Newbie Questions

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi,

I am going to smoke my first salmon today (actually two of them), but have a couple questions.

In trying to plan this, I have looked at and compared the salmon recipes I found here on TVWB (http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/salmon1.html) (Cardog recipe) with the recipes in "Smoke and Spice" (Jamison) and they are so different that I am questioning what to expect.

On the web page above, it shows cooking the salmon at ~250 deg for 2 hours. In S&S, their recipes say to cook ~1 hour at 180-200 deg. I also read a link in a message on this forum where a forum member (bob j) said he smoked his salmon at 180-200 deg for 4 hours. He describes his salmon as "very moist."

I can appreciate that one just never knows exactly how long the salmon will cook, but the S&S time/temp just seems incompatible with the other recipes. Should I just ignore the S&S recipe? Any thoughts why it would be so different? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

One more question. Anyone have a suggestion for freezing/re-serving smoked salmon? For the portion to be frozen, would it be best to undercook a bit? Or is it better to just thaw and serve any leftovers at room temp?

Thanks for any help. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

-E
================================================
Edit: Fixed typo

I have done salmon 1 time. I followed the "brown sugar rub" recipe in the cooking section here. Although I dont care for it, my neighbor said it was delicious. He eats out alot and said it was as good as any he had ever eaten.

I found the recipe and cook times to be almost exact!

Good luck.

I did salmon 3 weeks ago (one of the big Sam's Salmon filets cut in two) using Alton's Brown's recipe. It only took 45 minutes to get to 135-140.

I did salmon last week (Car Dod style) It took me one hour to hit 140 /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif
Salmon was great no complaints no regrets.

Steve S

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like there may be fair range of variability on cooking times. I'll keep an eye on the probe thermometer!

Any suggestions on preparing/re-serving frozen portions?

Eric,
I have cooked the "simply Supurb Salmon" recipe from S&S several times with good results. I use a whole filet from Costco and cook it at 200-225 for one hour. As far as reheating, I have cooked it a couple of days in advance and served it cold with outstand results. Never tried freezing/reheating.

Chris

With salmon you have two choices cook hotter and faster taking the internal to 145 to 155? or cooking slower and putting more smoke the fish.
In both cases the finish temps should still be in the 145 to 155? range if you want moist. Once the fish get much higher the moisture levels drop quickly.
Jim

Thanks all for your help. Turned out great. Although I think next time I'll take it out even sooner. Probe in the salmon read 137, but I think maybe 130 next time. I guess I like mine on the underdone side.

For what it's worth, I cooked at ~200 degrees for 2 1/2 hours.

-E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back