salmon roast

Dave/G

TVWBB Emerald Member
I asked the wife to buy a salmon filet, but she came back with a roast,the whole fish without the head. Now I realize it can be cut into filets, but if I wanted to smoke it tomorrow as is I need some clues. What are the differences in procedure, if any, between smoking it as a roast vs filet?

I smoked salmon with some other wood (and all of yours sound OK) then I tried alder. Wifey told me I was not to use any wood buy alder.

Its that important
icon_smile.gif

Gotta be a place in the Hub that sells smoke wood.

Smoke the salmon with applewood, then try it with alder - you'll see what I mean

I have about a 1/2 cord in my backyard curing right now (3 large alders I had to cut down in my front yard). I've cooked with it a lot...I can't really tell a difference, with fish or otherwise.

Back to the original question...I would fillet it if I were you. It's not that tough. Just get a (very) sharp knife and insert it to the spine just behind the gills. Then, run along the spine, keeping your knife angled towards it, until you reach about 1" from the tail. Flip the fish around, and (very carefully, holding the skin on the tail end) shimmy your knife between the skin and flesh and cut back toward the head. It'll give you a nice, skin free salmon fillet that you can trim to your liking. I guess you could also do steaks (i.e. just cut crosswise across the body) but it's not very...hmm...smoked salmony
icon_smile.gif
. I always equate steaks with grilling.

I usually brine them (fillets) then smoke until flaky. It's really good chilled with a mustard sauce...

I used to have a Boston Whaler Montauk and caught and cooked (and smoked) many salmon.

I have a Little Chief just for cold smoking.

Personally for fresh salmon, I prefer baking the salmon filets, as described below.

Filet as described above.

Soak alder chips to a water pan.

Place the salmon filet in an oiled foil pan (or you can make one).

In a pot add butter, mustard, worchester, lemon, brown sugar, and minced garlic or ginger. Heat and bring to liquid stage and baste the filet with this mixture.

Cover the filet with thinly sliced lemons

Add to a grill/kettle that is 350+- degrees, with indirect heat. Add the alder chips over the coals.

After 20 minutes start checking for doneness by lightly pushing down on the salmon with a finger. If you feel the fish meat separating it's done. Depending on the filet size it should take from 15-30 minutes.

John

Back