Salmon question

How did you get a cold smoke on that grill? In any case you could simply use the brined fish as Nova Lox (unsmoked). I do this all the time. You need VERY high quality salmon though. Sam's Club sells a very nice Norwegian product that is Sashimi grade. It's what I use. I have not done a smoke on one though. The reason being I cook the whole side BUT, before cooking I trim off the belly and tail to make a nice squared off piece I can easily work with on the grill. So the cook is nice and even. I cure the pieces I trim off for Nova Lox
I do not want to create any arguments on this topic so hear me out and do as you wish. The USDA does not grade fish sushi grade or not. That is a fishmongers term and has no real definition.

Salmon specifically, there are two kinds, wild and farm raised.

All wild salmon should be cooked. Salmon contains parasites.

Farm raised salmon can be eaten raw (I personally only eat costcos farm raised salmon raw). If you’re cold smoking, less than 95°, one should brine the salmon first (cure it) and you can then cold smoke it using a cold smoke generator tube. You can use your grill as a vessel to contain the smoke. A simple lox recipe only needs 90 minutes of cold smoke.

If you want to hot smoke, cook, your salmon, you can use wild salmon but you still need to brine it albeit less time than cold smoke brine, and you’re cooking the salmon with actual heat and smoke, 145-170° This will kill pathogens and parasites

Read this to learn more: https://blog.thermoworks.com/fish-seafood/key-temps-smoked-salmon/?tw=VWB&chan=TVWBB

I have been making cold smoked lox for a while now and did a lot of learning prior to embarking on countless hours to perfect my recipe and results. Some of what I made was jerky, some was inedible and some became the best lox I’ve ever eaten in my life.

Feel free to search my posts on lox on this forum if you’d like to learn to make it at home. It’s an easy process but timely process.

Last edited by a moderator:
The USDA does not grade fish sushi grade or not.

Even if they did, I wouldn't rely on them for such an opinion. :p This was farmed Norwegian. And I examine the fish myself for freshness. When you press their belly, the real fresh ones break out in "Rock the Boat."

Thanks. This was my first go. Like I said, next time my goal is to minimize the smokiness. So I'll be experimenting. But first I'll have a look at your posts and links.

I decided to freeze the dry brined half for another time. I sliced and served the wet brined smoked tail half to our children and theirs. It went down with great approval on bagels with cream cheese and some red onion.

The wet brined salmon came out very smoked. The smoke flavor was very domineering. A bit too much to my liking. The flesh inside was very soft and smooth, almost melting in our mouths. I bet the dry brined half is even smokier, as I assume the dryer flesh will more readily absorb the smoke. Time will tell.

View attachment 42740

Just documenting the end of my experience here.

A month has gone by. The smoked dry-brined forward half was defrosted last weekend. So much better than the wet brined tail end! And even the smokiness seemed smoother, less harsh. Super happy children and grandchildren.

The Mrs. agreed. So there's another fillet dry brining in the fridge now, which will begin its cold smoke curing tomorrow morning. Highly recommended!

Back