Salmon in the Snow

DWolf

TVWBB Member
It's 15 degrees and snowing in Washington DC today (1/22/05) and I just finished smoking a 2# salmon filet using the dry rub recipe from the cooking section. Like most of the readers of this board, a little bad weather isn't gonna deter me from making good food.

Because of the cold and snow, I put a little bit more charcoal in than I normally would and had the vents open a bit more (actually during the last half hour all three vents were fully open). Even though the snow was coming down really heavily, the chimney starter worked like a champ. 2 pieces of newspaper did the trick.

The temp started around 250 but after about 45 mins dropped to 175 where it stayed for the rest of the time. I pulled the salmon after 2 hrs and 15 mins when the internal temp reached 145. Normally it takes about 1 1/2 hrs to make this recipe but given that the snow kept me mostly indoors, I wasn't going anywheres anyhow, so what the heck.

The results... PERFECT! The fish is tasty and tender and by the time y'all probably read this, it's been all eaten.

btw - for those of you who live in big suburban areas and like smoking fish, I've found the best prices on very fresh fish are in the Korean owned grocery stores. The fish is incredibly fresh and the prices are less than half of anywhere else.

I'm driving cross country so only able to enjoy Q vicariously. Your salmon was my appetizer. Glad it turned out perfect.

I have a wireless connection through a PC card modem (Sony Ericsson's GC82 with service from AT&T). My lifeline.

Back