Salmon Help

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi all! This is my first post!

I just started smoking yesterday. I read many post's on this board before I started! It was a GREAT help!! Yesterday I smoked a whole chicken and a salmon filet. The Chicken came out perfect!! So juicy and wonderful! The salmon came out okay though. It was too juicy for my tastes. When I eat smoke salmon from the store, it usually is firmer, a little bit dryer (not much though) and smokier. Does anyone have any suggestions for smoking salmon?

Thanks! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

With salmon the length of time you smoke it is the key to moisture content, in your case more time on the pit would have given you results closer to what you were looking for.
You may want to play with different woods to find the one that will give you the flavor you want.
Alder and fruitwoods will be mild with hckory being stronger in flavor.
What you find in the store is normally done at lower temps (under 150?) for a longer time than we would do on a WSM.
Jim

Thanks Jim! I will try a hickory wood next time with more time. I used Apple for my first batch with only two hours of cooking time. It was a pretty thick piece, so more time should do it.

Depeche-

Welcome to the wold of smoking! I did salmon about a month ago. I used the recipe posted on Chris's site, which calls for rubbing it and then rinsing it and then smoking it. If I recall, correctly, I somked it for about 2 hours without a water pan, and the temps ran about 250 to 300 F. It came out very well.

This ce4ainly corroborates what Jim has said, so try leaving it on a bit longer if you want it to be a bit drier.

Good luck on your future endeavors!

Ken

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Depeche Mode Fan:
[qb] Does anyone have any suggestions for smoking salmon?

Thanks! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi my first post as well. Your comment about the water content of the salmon reminded me of a show I just saw on the Food Network. www.foodtv.com

This was the Smoked Salmon episode of Good Eats. The host applied his cure to the salmon for 24 hours ahead andapplied pressure. He put a board on top of the salmon and added some weight to the top. The reason given was to remove moisture. Not sure how much it squeezes out but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try.

BTW - The host of the show contructed a smoker out of a cardboard box, hotplate, a rack from an oven etc... There's a diagram here: http://WWW.FOODTV.COM/tvshows/goodeatsboxsmoker/0,4697,,00.html

My wife saw the cardboard box contraption above and was wondering why I needed the WSM. I too just picked up my WSM last Saturday and have put 3 racks of baby backs, several sausage three chickens and some almonds through it already. I think I have her convinced that I made the right choice. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Kevin

Kevin
I see your from Seattle, if you are interested in meeting some of the more serious BBQest from our area there is a function at Red Hook Brewery on the 25th of this month.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
[qb]Kevin
I see your from Seattle, if you are interested in meeting some of the more serious BBQest from our area there is a function at Red Hook Brewery on the 25th of this month.
Jim[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jim,

Thanks for the invite/tip. I would love to come check out the BBQing! I checked the Red Hook web page and they don't have any event listed for the 25th. What's going on that day and is it at the Fremont or the Redmond brewery?

Thanks,

Kevin

PS and back on topic - I'll be trying the salmon recipe listed here with one variation. On the advice of others, I'm going to try a longer curing time (24 hours or so). I'll post my results. I'll be bringing it to a Thanksgiving get together so will have some more "objective" opinions /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back