Salmon and Tofu

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I smoked my first salmon filet this weekend along with some tofu. I used the method described by Chris in his recipe section for the Salmon brown sugar rub. I used a rub I found in a post by Jim Minion.

For the tofu, I used 2 16 oz cakes. I cut them in half and pressed them for about an hour. I used 3 different rubs: Texas Sugarless Sprinkle, from Pual Kirk's book, and another one from there called the Salt Free Herb Rub. I also used a rub with brown sugar and Chines 5 spice poweder.

I started the cooker using the Minion method, but I did not put any water in the pan, as per Chris's recipe. The temperature got up to 250 quite quickly since there was no water to heat. Everything fit on the top cooking grate. I put four chunks of apple wood onto the coals. After about 15 minutes, the temp was back up at 250, so I closed two vents. 15 minutes later, it was a bit over 250, so I closed all the bottom vents. After the first hour, the temp was close to 275, so I took the lid off for a few minutes. Everything was looking good!

The temp hovered around 250 for quite a while. After two hours, I checked and the temp was almost at 300. I decided to check the internal temperature of the salmon, and it was around 190, so I decided to take everything off.

The salmon is to be served at a buffet on Thrusday, but I did taste it, and it was quite good.

We had the tofu for dinner. I served it with the bourbon sauce, and it was also quite tasty. It was a little tough, so I think the next time I so it, I'll only do it for an hour. Also, I think I will use the water pan for tofu.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has tried to do tofu -- I know there had been a little discussion a few weeks ago.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back