S-330 vs Q3200- single guy asking for advice

Hey all, nice site you got here, figured this will be a good place to ask. My charbroil Tru-infrared has died again so it’s a good excuse to buy a Weber :)

I know this is a bit apples to oranges but I’m tossed up between the Q3200 or the S-330, which is on sale at my local Ace for $869ish and craigslist used for $600 but it's kind of far away. I’m looking at the Natural gas version because I have a line and have done the run out of propane thing. I used to have a Baby Q, but it melted and I recycled it (long story) so I’m familiar with the line.

I like the fact the Genesis has a side burner as I can use it for other items, has the stainless grates and body. The Q is also appealing being less than half the cost of the Genesis at $399, but it doesn’t have the sear burner, side burner, etc and about half the BTUs at 21700 vs 38,000. I cook steaks often, same with chicken etc. Wish the EP330 natural gas (enamel lid, stainless grates) was still around, but can’t seem to find those anywhere.

I don’t have a problem with space, but here’s my biggest dilemma- I’m a single guy who lives alone I’m afraid the 630+ sq inches is too big. I’m sure the Genesis will last for a while too, but so will the Q. I have cookouts once in a blue moon (as in, last one was over 2 years ago, but that may change). I really like the features of the Genesis and know it’ll last a while but I’m afraid I’d be buying too much grill. I grill year round, so even though it's getting cold out, I'll use it in the middle of the winter time.

Thoughts?

A person can never have too much grill IMO ;) The Genesis will certainly give you more versatility. As for BTU don't go simply off BTU numbers. I am sure that Q will sear a steak every bit as well as the Genesis. It has the added advantage of having grate bars more tightly spaced so food does not fall through (something that at Weber's price point to me is a HUGE disappointment). Not sure what Weber was thinking with the spacing being so wide you can fit almost an entire finger between the grates. This of course forces you to skewer things to prevent losing them.
I'll throw another thing at you. IMO the old style Weber grills (I,II,II, etc or 1000, 2000, etc.) are far and away better performing and more versatile than the new ones. They have deeper heavier fire boxes, more tightly spaced grates, burners set up to you can make excellent rotisserie food.
So there is my $00.02 for ya

Yup - I'll "Second" what LMichaels said above:

If I was young and single, and wanted a PORTABLE grill to take to the park / parties / Ball Games etc - I would buy a Q-Series (one of the mid-level ones)
But as a Home or Condo Owner, if it is going to remain STATIONARY for "Everyday" cooking - a Genesis / Summit series will be a MUCH more versatile cooker

Individual control of the burners and having the food farther off of the flames gives the Genesis the edge.
I've been using the one that I bought used for a C-Note for over 5 years now (spent more on Grates and Flavorizer Bars than I did on the whole grille)

But you'll enjoy the heck out of either one

I own an old school Genesis (1996) that I bought from a guy on OfferUp, but I rarely used it once I refurbished it. I'm married with children, but I grill for myself mostly as they are only occasionally interested, and like you, I grill year round. I have a Q200 and I use it more than any grill in my arsenal. I'd buy a Q3200. To me, there is nothing they can't do. We used one at work that I would often have to use to feed my team whenever we achieved a goal that we'd set, and I fell in love. They fire up quick and easy, and there's enough room for a crowd. I've fed around 20 people with the one at work just on the graveyard shift, but day shift used the same grill to cook for many more. I think the Genesis has more features that you want though, so there's that. Tough one all around, but you'll win either way. Good luck!

Since you are OK with a used Weber, just keep looking. You'll find a better deal on a Genesis. In my area they pop up all the time. I've seen 330s for as low as $50 (it had issues) and averaging ~$300 to $400. I've seen a couple Summits in the $300 range. My hardly used S-310 was $150 with a nearly full propane tank. My well used EP-320 was $75. Good luck!

Hey guys, thanks for the replies. This helps! I might take a trip to see the S-330 "used" over the weekend, it's about 2 hours away from me.. the seller sent more pics and it's actually brand new and assembled and the seller is not firm on their price. The story is- it was a gift and the giver didn't know they didn't have natural gas service at their house and then couldn't return it. Hope it isn't stolen!

ChrisB- I don't mind "slightly used" but certainly don't want a restoration one. I'm handy, have enough tools but time is limited these days.. still putting the finishing touches on my kitchen remodel and am rebuilding the engine and transmission on my car. I also inherited a New Braunsfeld offset smoker that's on the restore list. Also grilling is a bit more seasonal here in the mid atlantic than in FL :)

Anyway- I might wind up with best of both worlds- get a Q1200 propane for portable tailgating type situations, then use the S-330 as a standalone. The more I think about it, the more the Q3200 natural gas seems out- it won't be very portable as a nat gas unit anyway, and at that price for a little more I could wind up with the S-330, assuming this "nused" one works out. Yes- I am a homeowner, house isn't big by any stretch but it's a single family on about 1/4 acre- but I do go tailgating etc. Still have a smokey mountain on the list too.. ahhh it never ends!

Last edited:
I was figuring we were gonna see some good clearance prices on the current Genesis lineup this past month, but it hasn't happened yet. If it is new (all the better if it hasn't been registered or maybe you can get a copy of the gift receipt) sub $600 sounds like a pretty good deal to me.

Back