Rusty, UNSEASONED Cast Iron Pan - Some Help, Please!

You really should try some oil with a much higher smoke point than EVOO. It's not really very suited for high heat cooking at all.

Try peanut oil or sunflower oil instead. It's a much better choice.

Ditto what Geir says above. Another good choice is refined Canola. PAM actually works well too (it's primarily refined canola oil).

You need to use a light coating. It should almost look like you've wiped it all off.

Here's a chart to show smoke points of various oils.

Cooking Oil Smoke Points

Maybe I'll try some Pam spray next, before the Crisco - I may try to fry some more potatoes & onions, sprayed with Pam, in a 425º oven.

Geir, I baked the EVOO-oiled pan in a 500º oven for an hour - it smelled, but it didn't appear to smoke.....

I see you (on this forum) use EVOO for a lot of different cooks. I think that is not neccessarily the best solution, as many cooks will bring the EVOO over the smoke point, thus releasing free radicals. They are not healty at all.

I use EVOO mainly for salads, and other food that do not require high heat. The quite prominent taste of high quality EVOO is not wanted in everything that I make.

I just wanted to mention the fact that EVOO does have a low smoke point.

I have rescued a couple of cast iron grates, literally baked in with rust, by using a angle grinder and a wire brush. It's a pretty rough treatment, but after grinding, and polishing up the cooking surface with a rotary sander, and seasoning, they are as good as new. Now, please do this outside. It's a messy business.

If you do it in the future-go with a water and vinegar bath first as that will probably be enough to remove any rust. Then you can just season it normally. I have a few very old Griswolds I need to remove rust from, clean with oven cleaner, and then reseason. Actually, the bean pot is close to being good to go, the smaller 8' is for the grill, and the larger pan is for cornbread. I just need to get motivated!

Originally posted by Jeff Boudman:
If you do it in the future-go with a water and vinegar bath first

Actually, Jeff, although I inadvertently left that out, I did soak the pan in 2 gallons of hot water, combined with 1 1/2 quarts of white vinegar, for a little over an hour; I feel it may have loosened up the rust a bit, but it still took some elbow grease to finish 'er off.

As for bean pots, I'm thinking that will be my next CI acquisition......

Easy method:

First coat well with oven cleaner and seal into a plastic trash/garbage bag and let it set for at least 24 hours. More is better, judge by the crud.

Clean this all off, use a Chore Boy, steel wool or other non brass tool. Stainless is a good material to use. Don't use a grinder or sand blaster. Wire brush in a drill - well it can remove material too and changes the surface. If you don't care about resale or value of the piece this can be OK.

If you still have some caked on stuff repeat.
This will not remove rust. Once you have all of the crud off then go to a 50/50 vinegar water bath for rust removal. Watch this closely every hour or so. Rinse, check and re-submerge. You can destroy a piece if you aren't diligent.

Other more high production methods is to use a lye bath or electrolysis. Lye bath is relatively easy but doesn't remove rust and you still need to use the vinegar bath for that. Electrolysis is the premier method and removes crud, rust, paint, etc in one step but takes some effort to set up and really doesn't make sense if you are just doing a piece here or there.

After you are done with the vinegar bath, wire brushing for rust removal. Start the seasoning process immediately. You will get flash rusting after you finish the post vinegar bath wash/rinse.

Preheat the oven to 250, coat the item with your high smoke point oil of choice. Do not coat heavily, wipe off well with a paper towel. There only needs to be a light coating. Set in the oven for 30 minutes or so. Then repeat coating the item with oil (wipe off excess) and jack the temperature up to 350. After 30 minutes, remove and wipe again then jack up the temp to 400 or higher and bake for another 30-50 minutes. Repeat the wipe of oil and run again at 400 until you see the color/finish you are looking for. Seasoning builds up over time/use. This is just getting you to a starting point. It's very important to understand you are working with a hot piece of iron and prepare accordingly. You will see some smoking of course and your house will smell.

This re-seasoning process is one that folks will provide all kinds of methods, technique etc. The one I mention is basic and is all I use. It's not the best but won't cause any problems and is good for basic maintenance. You end up developing your own process after a while. It's just intended as a starting point.

You can also have someone do this for you who may have one of these set ups already. If you post on the web site I mentioned you might find a collector/restorer in your area that may clean up a piece for you. Collectors are often doing a run of pieces at a time that they are prepping for resale/collection, etc. Another piece thrown in often doesn't make a difference and they will usually charge a very reasonable per piece fee.

But the closed bag oven cleaner followed by vinegar solution for rust removal works perfectly for a piece or two here and there.

In fact the oven cleaner in a bag is the best method for grill grates either cast iron, steel, stainless, porcelain, etc. I use it for my grates now for a good while.

But - don't sand blast or grind a vintage or quality piece of cast iron no matter how grungy it is. These methods alter the original surface, affect the seasoning/finish end result and the media is very hard to get out of porous cast iron.

If you have a piece that has heavy pitting, cracks, etc then it doesn't matter as it's scrap value anyway. Minor pitting on the bottom is not an issue for a user piece.

Don't use the method of throwing an item into a hot fire to burn off the crud. It will permanently discolor the piece and your seasoning will not look right.

Best advice - go to the web site I mentioned above. Go to the cleaning forum and you will have all kinds of expert advice from people who do this pretty seriously on a regular basis.

If it's a piece that has no intrinsic, collector, resale or other value. Blast and grind away. But I have found that this less intrusive method works great for those pieces as well.

Iagree. But using a grinder with a wire brush does not give a spesific result. the whole process is dependant of the eye, and the feel in the hands of the operator. I agree that it is possible to ruin a cast iron piece, but I'm also quite sure that a grinder can remove rust and not much else if you know what you are doing, and use the grinder with care.
In most cases, the cooking area is the area that is quite free of rust, simply because it is the area of the pot that is filled with fat.

Back