Rusty Rack

You could brush the loose stuff off and seal the rust with Rust Reformer or a similar product.

There are rubber type paint coatings on the market. Moisture collects on the lower grill so maybe they would be helpful

Wire cup brush on an angle grinder will clean it up.
Bruce, do you try to get all the rust off or just most of it and then treat it like BPratt suggested? Or just use Rustoleum paint? I was thinking the cup brush and angle grinder would catch the wires and wrench the grinder from your hands all the time.

Richard, it does take patience and practice to clean up the wire racks and cooking grates without doing the angle grinder dance for sure.
That is what I would do. You still won't get them `100% clean of rust as there will be spots on the cross welds you just cannot get to. Otherwise, you can just knock off the loose paint and rust and do what BPratt suggests.

After I grind as much of the rust off as possible, I give it a good coat or two of Rustoleum rust reformer before I spray them Rustoleum 2x gloss or semi gloss black.

But, in reality, neither is a real good solution in my opinion. If you can find one from a donor grill that is in better shape, I would go that route. I currently have one on my personal grill that is in rough shape, but it will be replaced with one from a donor grill as soon as I come across one. It is one of the longer ones for the Silver C type frames so they are less common than a silver B. So, it may take a while.

Otherwise, you can always fab in a bottom shelf something like this:20210816 Silver B Black Head (1).JPG

Richard, it does take patience and practice to clean up the wire racks and cooking grates without doing the angle grinder dance for sure.
That is what I would do. You still won't get them `100% clean of rust as there will be spots on the cross welds you just cannot get to. Otherwise, you can just knock off the loose paint and rust and do what BPratt suggests.

After I grind as much of the rust off as possible, I give it a good coat or two of Rustoleum rust reformer before I spray them Rustoleum 2x gloss or semi gloss black.

But, in reality, neither is a real good solution in my opinion. If you can find one from a donor grill that is in better shape, I would go that route. I currently have one on my personal grill that is in rough shape, but it will be replaced with one from a donor grill as soon as I come across one. It is one of the longer ones for the Silver C type frames so they are less common than a silver B. So, it may take a while.

Otherwise, you can always fab in a bottom shelf something like this:View attachment 38961
Bruce, I assume that is your handiwork. Did you use composite decking to make that bottom shelf? It looks great, like it came that way.

Yah, that is composite decking on the bottom rack. I have to do that to several rehab grills each year. Either the bottom racks are missing, rusted bad or other wise trashed or it was a cabinet grill in it's former life and the cabinet was removed due to rust.

Thanks. I used 3/4" angle iron welded in for the cross braces. I know most can't do that, but you could just put in some square tubing cross braces with the tube inserts and then use them to support the composite. Wood would certainly work as well.

Back