rusty q320 grates help!

Paula L

Okay new here. Bought a 18 month old q320 off of cl for 160.00 bucks. Looked good in the pics but after driving 100 miles I found out it was filthy never cleaned and the grates were rusty. I bought it anyway. Now what do I do with the grates especially. Can I clean a rusty grate. Can I cook on a partially rusty grate? Please give me some suggestions.

Paula. (am I the only gal here)

Option 1 - The Q series uses "porcelain-enameled, cast-iron cooking grates". The rust comes from the cast iron from below chipped off porcelain. Giving the grate a good cleaning should remove most of the rust. The difficult cleaning areas will be where the missing porcelain meets the cast iron. If you don't do a perfect job of cleaning, a little rust won't hurt you.

Option 2 - get a new grate $70.00 - http://store.weber.com/items/?pid=1403 (also amazon)

"(am I the only gal here) " no.

Option 1 - The Q series uses "porcelain-enameled, cast-iron cooking grates". The rust comes from the cast iron from below chipped off porcelain. Giving the grate a good cleaning should remove most of the rust. The difficult cleaning areas will be where the missing porcelain meets the cast iron. If you don't do a perfect job of cleaning, a little rust won't hurt you.

Option 2 - get a new grate $70.00 - http://store.weber.com/items/?pid=1403 (also amazon)

I heated and oiled the grate. Not so bad anymore. Most of the rust is in between and on the bottom. Also the flames are kind of wild. Any reason why?

Thanks
Paula

Hy, just a corection. Q grill have no enamel on the cast iron grates or griddle. That is why it will rust if left exposed to humidity.
Just burn it after cook or in your case until its ready to use....give it a good brush (the coiled type brush is the best) and oil with canola cooking oil after every cleaning. It is a Ferrari among grates if you ask me. Also don't use cleaners for the grate, just for the other parts. I also never clean the lid from iside until and if it starts flaking.

For the flames it has some few main reasons....it could be the burners needing some cleaning too. If there is carbon on them it will usualy give very bright yellow flame. Also check the mesh on the oxygen intake holes behind the knobs. Mesh is all around the burner tubes but the holes are on down side. Those holes must be clean or it will afect both power and color of flame. Usually it is a no brainer to clean and fix these grills and for anything more there is amazing customer service at Weber. If this grill has the invoice and waranty since it is 18 months old.....no problem. Even of not try giving them a serial number in case you need them to help.

And I hope ypu have a fresh propane tank.....old gas also burns kinda funny.

Peter H.

Last edited:
Welcome to Slovenia Q users. I think it is great that the TVWBB site has visitors from all over the world. Visiting other country's web sites you'll find colored versions of some models that aren't available in the United States. From posts in the q section it seems like q users outside the US are very passionate about their q. Peter gave great advice on the burners.

That being said, I had to find out about "Q grill have no enamel on the cast iron grates or griddle." I used Google translate and the Slovenia-Weber website and came up with the below -

The Slovenia website states "2-delna rešetka za peko iz litega železa: Emajlirana, z integriranimi tirnicami za aromo," for their q series.

Na spletni strani Slovenija navaja, "2-delna rešetka za peko iz litega železa: Emajlirana, z integriranimi tirnicami za aromo," za njihovo serijo q.

2-delna rešetka za peko iz litega železa: Emajlirana, z integriranimi tirnicami za aromo, translates to 2-piece grill for cooking in cast iron: enamelled, with integrated rails for aroma,

Welcome to Slovenia Q users. I think it is great that the TVWBB site has visitors from all over the world. Visiting other country's web sites you'll find colored versions of some models that aren't available in the United States. From posts in the q section it seems like q users outside the US are very passionate about their q. Peter gave great advice on the burners.

That being said, I had to find out about "Q grill have no enamel on the cast iron grates or griddle." I used Google translate and the Slovenia-Weber website and came up with the below -

The Slovenia website states "2-delna rešetka za peko iz litega železa: Emajlirana, z integriranimi tirnicami za aromo," for their q series.

Na spletni strani Slovenija navaja, "2-delna rešetka za peko iz litega železa: Emajlirana, z integriranimi tirnicami za aromo," za njihovo serijo q.

2-delna rešetka za peko iz litega železa: Emajlirana, z integriranimi tirnicami za aromo, translates to 2-piece grill for cooking in cast iron: enamelled, with integrated rails for aroma,

Hey Russell.....thanks on the welcome :). TVWBB rocks!!!! I am trying to get all of my friends to buy a Weber grill and register here as well. So far 5 of my friends including my boss have new grills in last year. I hope they will join the forum too. It is hard in the beggining but when you cook a meal for them the new grill is not far away. It is really a pitty that US Weber people don't get everything available elswhere - kind a strange decission but I think the other markets need much more attention to convince the buyers. You van probably imagine that the general grill knowledge is not so spread as in the traditional BBQ and grilling countryes.

As it looks the information on those grates is wrong. It rusts if left unkept. But anyway...it is all cleanable and this are very good grates in a super grill!

Peter H.

Back