Rushed!!!

Arthur Squires

TVWBB Member
I rushed home and got a 7.5lbs. rutt ready and put in the pitt at 7.30pm. And of course now the wind starts to pick up. I used yellow mustard adn a combination of two commercial rubs 'Barvarian' and 'Back Of the Woods' made locally here. Now i have a ? I trimmed the skin adn some of the fat cap off in one big piece and want to smoke it for a friends hound dog, how long should it (the skin) take to be done?

Thanks,

Art

You found butt with skin on? Wow, it;s been years since I've seen that.

First, block the wind.

The dog won't care if the skin's cooked or not. Mine like it gnarly and chewy which usually takes a few hours depending on how much fat is attached to it and what temp I've got going.

Thanx,
That was the first thing i was strugling with- the wind I set up a couple fo crates adn then of course the wind quit me. And I will just burn the hide for the pooch.

Art

Well I just checked it for the first time 5hrs in and the meat temp is around 125F. The pitt is running a little hot, like 275 thru the top vent, but it looks great and I think it will be ok. I hope ...

Art

OVER-SLEPT!
Checked everything at 7.30am and The butt is in that magic place 160F internal and the pitt was still 220F at the dome. I added a large coffee can of unlit kingsford and got a cup of coffee. I am hopping to pull this off around noon to wrap and put in the cooler.

Art

Well it is out of the pitt and in the cooler. It only got up to the upper 180'sF but I could have pulled the bone out of it without it budging so i pulled it out and it will lay in the cooler for 4 hrs and then get pulled.
Thanx for the encouragement al night

Art

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K Kruger:
You found butt with skin on? Wow, it;s been years since I've seen that. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kevin, All the butts Ive purchased in the past year have had skin on. I've never seen one with no skin!

My grocer only carries picnics, and they all have skin. I still like 'em.

By the way Art, I doubt if that dog cares whether the skin is smoked or not. If you're just trying to make it safer to eat, you can just cut it into strips and pan-fry it. It renders a bunch of the fat out, but the skin is still chewy. I'm not afraid to say that I've cooked it up for myself upon occasion.

Nick-- No kidding? It's been ages since I've seen a skin-on butt. Picnics and fresh hams, yes, but not butts. Granted, the vast majority have been purchased in Fla, but I've gotten them in other parts of the south, in Colo and in Calif. Haven't seen them in a long time. Like Art B, I like the skin.

I got some boneless butts from a Chinatown butcher in the summer that still had skin on. They were cheap, but not cheap enough for the work required. I haven't been back for more.

"Nick-- No kidding? It's been ages since I've seen a skin-on butt. Picnics and fresh hams, yes, but not butts. Granted, the vast majority have been purchased in Fla, but I've gotten them in other parts of the south, in Colo and in Calif. Haven't seen them in a long time. Like Art B, I like the skin.

Kevin"

Kevin, since when has Colorado and California been a part of the south?
icon_rolleyes.gif
Especially California!
icon_biggrin.gif

Down here in the "real" south, Tennessee that is, it's rare I see a butt with no skin. Sometimes I see no skin on the mini-butts at the city-fied grocery stores, i.e. Kroger and the like in Nashville. But at Food Lion, Winn-Dixie, Wal-Mart, etc., I have never seen a butt without skin.

BTW, isn't Florida, at least south Florida, the sub-south, or Yankee country as some folks call it
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K Kruger:
Nick-- No kidding? It's been ages since I've seen a skin-on butt. Picnics and fresh hams, yes, but not butts. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
In the UK the "bone-in pork shoulder roast" (I finally figured out what it's called after confusing them with "butt" and "picnic" a few times) not only has skin but 3 ribs still attached. You can sometimes get "boneless pork shoulder" in the supermarket, this appears to be picnic end rolled up.
I leave the skin on and cook skin side down as a combination heat shield and no-stick surface.

morgan

Back