Rump roast ??

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I just saw rump roast on sale for 1.49/lb. I searched this site and found little information on smoking a rump roast. Can this be done with good results or is this meat better left to other cooking methods? I am fairly new user and have no experiance with Roast. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks
Lyle

I would cook like you would a top sirloin roast,
If you want some med to med well pieces cook at a pit temp of 325 to 350?, pull off cooker at 125? internal if you want to be able to serve rare to med/rare from the center of the roast.
This cuts does not have the fat in it like a brisket nor is it as tough as a brisket, if you were take it to 195 to 205? internal it wold be way over cooked.
Jim

Jim
Thanks for the information. You mentioned sirloin roast so I searched the site for sirloin roast information. It sounds like that may be a better choice to smoke. Any suggestions on smoking a sirloin roast? Most in this house like Medium.

Thanks
Lyle

Smoke at 225 to 250?, mop every 30 to 45 minutes, cook to 130/135? internal, cover and let rest at least 1/2 hour before serving.
Here is a mop recipe if you want to try it:
1 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup tomato puree
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup molasses
3 Tbsp sugar
3 Tbsp black pepper
2 Tbsp bourbon
2 Tbsp garlic powder
2 Tbsp onion powder
Jim