Rump Roast?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony G.

TVWBB Super Fan
Was in the grocery store recently, scouting out somthing new to cook. I came across a nice rump roast (I love a good rump...I usually cook it in a crock pot.)

Did a forum search on it and no one has talked about this cut of beef in a while.....has anyone smoked one lately?

Any good tips?

I would do an overnight marinade and probably use something exciting like Dale's or Moore's, but I'm sure you can find more interesting beef marinates. My effort would be to tenderize if possible. I think the only reasonable way to cook would be at higher heat and pulling off aroun 145 to 155. It's not a sirloin tip so you won't have the basic tenderness, but I've felt that a marinade helps in this regard; however some might debate that.

Paul

Paul,
Depends on the marinade. I always add a cup of the wife's white wine to any marinade I make. The alcohol breaks down the fibers in the meat and helps tenderize it then cooks off and leaves no decernable after taste.

Rath*marinaded everything before discovering the "rub"*

Probably more the acidity of the wine than the alcohol content that's responsible for breaking down (denaturing) the protein-- it takes a rather high percentage of alcohol concentration-- on the order of 70%-- to have that effect. Yes, the alcohol cooks off, leaving no after-taste, but the acids responsible for the tenderizing are not perceived as offensive if traces of them happen to remain.

Well...got a late start (3:00pm C.S.T.)...just put on a 4.7lb rump. Smoking with pecan/hickory wood. I stuffed it with roasted garlic and coated it with worcestershire sauce and rub. The Temp at the dome is a steady 250 degrees...(I'm guessing a grate temp. of about 225 degrees)

After an hour and a half, the meat thermometer is reading 130 degrees....Doesn't this sound a little quick?.....Maybe I need to adjust my probe.

P.S. Using a water filled pan...no foil....

Took it off 4.5 hours later...internal temp=160 degrees....It was on the tough side....had a great taste though.

Maybe the toughness was because of the low fat content?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back