Rubs- how important besides salt?

thoslhall

I know that salt is the most important thing. How important are the other ingredients? Especially compared to the choice of wood and care taken in smoking the meat?

In my opinion, salt is the LEAST important spice/ingredient in a rub. In fact, most of the time I either omit the salt completely or dramatically reduce the amount a recipe calls for.

To me they are very important. A salt-only or salt-and-pepper rub (or a salt, sugar, lots-of-paprika -based rub) epitomizes bland and after a bite or two I'm uninterested and moving on. Hundreds of subtle flavors are created during cooking/smoking which can be (should be, to me) highlighted, complemented and contrasted. I make rubs mostly specific to the meat I'm smoking and to the sauce(s) I expect to make for them. It is rare that I use a rub I've made for beef on, say, chicken.

As much I love sauces I like the meat to stand alone, without need for sauce. To me, non-existent or virtually non-existent (or heavily sweetened) rubs don't make this possible. Rubs do not need to be heavily applied, necessarily; their ingredients should be well-chosen and proportioned well and should be of quality. The recipe needn't be two-dozen ingredients long--a well-made rub can be fairly simple (though there are many rubs with many ingredients that I am quite fond of; by no means a requirement though).

But that's my palate and preference. Others may--and certainly do--feel otherwise. The world of food--the world--would be pretty boring if we all thought the same way.

(For me the least important ingredient is sugar. I don't use it in many rubs; when I do its proportionally small. I know several people who lean towards John's view of salt.

I make most rubs without any salt, preferring to salt the meat first then applying the rub over the salt. This allows control of the salt level irrespective of how much or how little rub is applied.)

My $.02.

I think you should omit salt in any rub or seasoning mix that you make even if it is someone else's recipe. Most if not all commercially available rubs have salt and sugar as the first two ingredients so you are stuck with that proportion. Plus I brine my chicken and pork(not butts)so I don't want additional salt anyway. If I am salting I put it on first. That way you can see how much you are applying. An added bous doing it this way is if you think you have too much you can remove it without removing any rub. I am not yet skilled enough to creat a rub from scratch. I usually find a recipe that has what I THINK I want and maybe adjust it as far as amounts and/or ingredients. I try to avoid recipes with a long list of miniscule amounts of ingredients. I also think that different meats and seafoods need different rubs/seasonings. I personally don't care for sweet seasonings on seafood but that probably comes from my Louisiana background. I also don't put any sugar in a beef rub. I do like cinnamon,cloves and allspice in pork and chicken seasoning even if it's a grilled vs. slow cook.
Be sure and get the freshest herbs and spices that you can. The difference in ,say,Penzeys French Thyme and what you get at the market will amaze you. Maybe even reduce the amounts you use.

I also think that salt is a very important ingredient in the breaking down of the tough muscle tissues in brisket and pork butts. I like to use Kosher salt in my homemade rub for pork (butts and rib) and Montreal Steak Seasoning on brisket. Rubs along with the smoke make the Q stand out. Sauces are optional

Back