rubbing then freezing chicken for a camping trip

Todd Randall

TVWBB Pro
Hello,
I've got a 3 night tent camping trip planned for next week. Can't wait. Leaving Thur and coming home Sunday. I'm taking the WSM with me and I'm going to feed it well
icon_smile.gif
I was at my local supermarket today and I noticed that they have split chicken on sale this week. I was planning on doing chicken on Sat. Do you guys think it would work out ok to buy this chicken, rub it now, then repackage it in freezer bags, freeze it, take it out on Thur just before we leave (about 11am) and ice it in a cooler? Any problems you think with the rub going through all that? I'd like to do the rub before freezing so I don't have to mess around with it on site. And then cook it up on Saturday for dinner, so it would probably be in the cooler for a good 50-55 hours. Should be thawed by then, yes? Other alternitives/ideas you guys have experience with? For the Friday cook, I was just going to go buy ribs Thursday morning, pack them in ice in the cooler, and cook them up starting around 11am Friday, so I think they should be ok. I may rub them down first too before they go in the cooler. Thoughts or advice appreciated.
thanks,
Todd

I haven't tried it so I'm not much help for you but my only concern would be if the rub would fall off as the chicken deforsts (from moisture maybe). I could be out in left field but that's all I can come up with. Besides theres only one way to find out!

Thanks guys. That was my same concern about the rub, it rinsing itself off as it defrosts. I'll give it go and just bring along some extra rub in case I have to touch them up!

Back