Rubber Disc on Manifold

RobertJohnson

I was looking at some photos and noticed that most manifolds have a rubber/silicone disc that sits between the valve and knobs. On the one I just rehabbed these were missing. Are these critical? Are there easy replacements?

I couldn’t find a code on the schematic for my 05 Weber Genesis Silver B. Thanks!

They are grease guards.....at least that is what I call them. They are designed to prevent grease, water and whatever else from running down the valve stem to the valve itself which would tend to gum it up.

Critical? No, the grill won't blow up with out them. If your grill is covered and you keep the control panel clean, it isn't that big of a deal, but if you leave it out in the rain or tend to not keep it clean, it might gum them pretty quick. If you can't find any, I probably have a few I could spare for shipping cost. I just send a dang 10 cent wing nut to someone today and it cost me $3.90. The USPS is going nuts. It was just a small 1/4" wing nut with a layer on each side inside an envelope. I used to male stuff like that for a buck. I might be able to get the rubber guards in as regular mail at 50 cents.

They are grease guards.....at least that is what I call them. They are designed to prevent grease, water and whatever else from running down the valve stem to the valve itself which would tend to gum it up.

Critical? No, the grill won't blow up with out them. If your grill is covered and you keep the control panel clean, it isn't that big of a deal, but if you leave it out in the rain or tend to not keep it clean, it might gum them pretty quick. If you can't find any, I probably have a few I could spare for shipping cost. I just send a dang 10 cent wing nut to someone today and it cost me $3.90. The USPS is going nuts. It was just a small 1/4" wing nut with a layer on each side inside an envelope. I used to male stuff like that for a buck. I might be able to get the rubber guards in as regular mail at 50 cents.

Is this something I could get at Home Depot? I’m striking out finding anything direct/part number online.

I am sure you could find about any generic silicone disc and punch a hole in it. IMO yes it is critical but again that's me

No need to really paint them. Likely the paint will peel off when they get stretched anyway. You can't see them unless you get under the grill, so the color shouldn't matter much.

I recently fabbed one from an auto tire tube I had laying around. They don't need to be silicone, there's no direct heat nearby, and the LP gasifying keeps the manifold cool.

The rubber those tubes are made of won't really hold up. They're not made to take any kind of heat and or weather exposure. So they'll dry rot and crumble in short order

I had a couple car tire tubes for tubing in a river. They are great for a year or two, after that, like Larry says, they dry rot bad.

I found a decent replacement at my local Ace Hardware. They have rubber fender washers (rubber washers) the same dimensions as the original parts. I've installed them in my rehab. Its a nice snug fit over the valve stem. Hopefully they hold up!

I also saw some on ebay listed as "neoprene rubber fender washers" that might work. It was qty. 4 for $7. The rubber ones from ace were around $1/ea.

I am working on a couple of older manifolds and valves of 80s vintage. Those rubber/silicone discs on the valve stems that I'm working on are hardened to the point that I doubt they would seal out water. I plan on installing them with a small bead of silicone on the top side.

Gerry

I just got a replacement natural gas manifold and it came with what looks like silicone washers 1-1/2 od with a 3/16 hole for the stem.

Replacements.com

Gerry

Back