Royal Oak Lump Charcoal in the 22"WSM

NDekens

TVWBB Member
So I have been using Royal Oak Lump for years, most recently in my 26" Kettle w/ the Slow n Sear.

Now when I use it in my kettle it burns hot n' fast and I usually have to add more lump when smoking a pork but or ribs.

Has anyone used Royal Oak in the 22"WSM?

When using the stock coal ring, Does it last long enough for say a average sized brisket before having to add more?

How long does it last when compare to using kingsford briquettes?

I like the taste from the Royal oak a lot and it makes way less ash personally.

So I don't want to have to change my preferred type of charcoal if I don't have to.

I'm itching to get my smoker put together...but I promised the wife I would finish the patio extension first....

I use RO lump in my big boy WSM. Trick is to pack or shake the ring to settle the chunks to chips in.
Easier if you do the double grate mod and wire the ring to the charcoal grates.
I don't do alot of L&S mostly 275-300 so I need to add more occasionally depending on outside weather.

I use RO lump in my big boy WSM. Trick is to pack or shake the ring to settle the chunks to chips in.
Easier if you do the double grate mod and wire the ring to the charcoal grates.
I don't do alot of L&S mostly 275-300 so I need to add more occasionally depending on outside weather.
So about how many hours do you get running at 275 before you need to add more?

That's all I used when I started a few years ago. I switched to Frontier Lump Charcoal because my local Home Depot stopped carrying RO. My WSM is the 18 inch and I never had to add charcoal during a 12 hour cook. I think out of a full basket I could easily get 16 hours or so. I loved it when I used it but I can't find it in a big bag anywhere around me.

So about how many hours do you get running at 275 before you need to add more?
Gawd i dunno,:) when the temp started to drop I'd open the door and check, maybe 8 - 9 hrs on a crap day, more on a good day.:unsure:
Lump is more hands on then briquettes.

Back