Royal Oak Briquettes On Clearance At Walmart

Rusty James

TVWBB Emerald Member
Walmart purchased a lot of Royal Oak briquettes (24lb - two 12 pound twin paks) this year, and they have marked them down to $4.00. I purchased about 250lbs, and I noticed that Royal Oak lump (large bag) is selling for about $9.00 too.

Not sure if all Walmarts sell Royal Oak charcoal, but be on the look out.

How does Royal Oak Briquettes compare to KBB? If they are as good, that is a great price per pound.

How does Royal Oak Briquettes compare to KBB? If they are as good, that is a great price per pound.

I personally think it's better as it seems to produce less ash in my opinion. There is a bit of an off-odor before the coals turn white, but it doesn't bother me for most part (except when smoking chicken). I smoked 30lbs of pork shoulders in my 18.5" WSM this week, and I got rave reviews about the meat flavor.

I did a strange arrangement using a layer of briquettes on the grid (surrounding three hickory wood chunks) and a heap of Royal Oak lump on top of that. I lit a 1/2 chimney of Royal Oak briquettes for a starter. I've had problems with creosote smoke in the past, and I was looking for a better way to arrange smoke wood.

Last edited:
Unfortunately they didn't have that sale in my local Walmart...sucks to be me. I did get the Stubb's sale in Lowes

Just went to the Porter Ranch Walmarts and they have the RO 2packs but the price was just under $8.00 for the 2 pack. Not sale here. Will get KBB later this week when the sale starts at HD.

Have you seen any difference with Backyard and RO? I would guess they are not the same formula, I'd think RO would want to protect their position.

Thanks

Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The Royal Oak red bag briquettes have less filler and are a "premium" product vs the Backyard briquettes.

My experience with the RO briquettes has been mixed - They burn nice and clean, but I've found they burn fast. I don't know if it's the compression that's used when forming the briquette or the lack of binder or what, but I've even had the coals in the bottom of the chimney crap out before the top ones were even ashed over yet.

Last edited:

Back