Round Roast Cook Questions

Paul H

TVWBB Gold Member
Did my first round roast cook yesterday. I'm pleased but perplexed. I put the meat on at 3:00pm . Temp at the grate was 216. The meat was done at 5:30. Internal meat temps were at 150. I couldn't believe it so I pulled the probe out and reinserted it in another location on the beef and it came out pretty close to the other reading. Pulled meat off wrapped it in foil and a towel and put in a cooler for 1 1/2 hours. My wife thought it was great.2 1/2 hours for a 6 1/2 lb piece of beef. Grate temps stayed between 225 and 230 the whole time. I had bought two roasts at the time. One for cooking the other for jerky. Now she wants me to cook the other one just like this one. I also injected Dales seasoning into the beef. This brings up another question. When I cut into the meat you could see where the injection went due to the discoloration. Did I do something wrong?

paul--

Since you're cooking to a lower temp and since there is no substantial internal rendering going on the cook time is much quicker as you discovered.

On the injection: You can try to make your injection holes a bit tighter and draw your needle out a little more slowly (injecting slowly on the draw-out) or you can switch to a more colorless injection. The structure of round makes it a bit less permeable than some other meats.

Thanks Kevin. I guess I could have rotated the needle around more as I pulled it out. I guess I was surprised at what an easy and quick cook this was. Used a simple black pepper,salt, onion powder and garlic powder coating on the meat.

Back