Rotisserie chicken rocks!

I am often accused of being overly critical of my own cooking. I always think that I could have done a little better job on the seasoning mix I concocted, or how something was a little over done, but I just did my first whole chicken on my new rotisserie (22.5" Weber kettle), and it was the best darn chicken I've ever eaten! Perfect, crackling skin, moist and tender and juicy inside.

I have always wanted the rotisserie attachment, but thought it was kind of frivolous. I finally broke down, and I'm so glad I did. Here are the details (sorry no pics):

One 4 lb chicken from Trader Joe's, sprinkled liberally with salt inside the cavity then stuffed with two lemon halves. Trussed the bird then salt and peppered the outside. I added a quick drizzle of olive oil, and onto the spit.

Grill was fired with 3/4 full chimney, split into two baskets on the outside edges of the grill, along with 2 chunks of apple and cherry, each. Chicken went onto the rotisserie, motor started and lid went on. Within 5 minutes, the lid temp was just over 550 degrees, and stayed there the entire cook.

Bird was pulled after 55 minutes. Spit and forks were removed, and rested for five minutes before I started carving (couldn't wait any longer). As mentioned before, the skin was crackling crisp. Chicken candy! Breast was still nice and juicy; and legs and thighs were perfectly done.

I'll never cook chicken on the grill any other way. Can't wait to try a turkey and some seasoning variations for more chickens! If you don't have a rotisserie, I'd highly recommend it.

Bill

PS I've got a bet to pay off because of the **** Packers winning the Superbowl . . . and I'm going to try a prime rib on the rotisserie, I think. Maybe even a bison prime rib. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

William,

We're you able to find the rotisserie locally here in the twin Cities, or did you order online? If locally, where did you find it?

Yes. I got mine at Gerten's Garden Center in Inver Grove last week. they had it on sale for $129, which is $10 less than Amazon.

Bill

PS Nice to have some more MN BBQ guys here!

Okay William, you talked me in to ordering one. If my misses calls you, it's not my fault.

I saw a post where they roast a prime rib on one *Yummy!*

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Zimmerman:
Does the rotisserie work better than the beer can? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

From a moistness standpoint, there's no comparison IMO.

The last time I did rotis chicken, we were already so full by the time the chicken was done, we only ate one. I gave the other to my buddy who ended up eating it for his lunch for the next two days. Each day he returned from his lunch break proclaiming and reproclaiming it was the juciest chicken he'd ever had.

My other buddy that partook went out and bought a rotisserie the next day.

I still love beer butt chicken and Coke butt chicken, but the rotis beats them from a retained moisture standpoint hands down.

I love the rotisserie. Chicken is awesome on it. I did a pork butt, it was awesome. Took it to 170 and sliced. It was one of my favorite pork cooks.

Ok, this will sound wierd, but I am a total Roti fan. Enough so that I bargained 2 years ago with an HD employee to get a gasser just for that reason (thinking there was no way I could get a Weber Roti). Now that grill is outta here, and I'm waiting delivery of a Cajun Bandit roti kit for one of my Kettles. Can't wait (and neither can my hubby).

I've done beer can chicken for years. It was my goto chicken recipe and everyone always loved it, but the rotisserie chicken was at another level. And I did the most basic preparation. I can't wait the use some of my favorite rubs, marinades and brines to kick up the flavor profile with this technique.

Bill

Here is my Roti set up. Absolutely the best chicken I have ever tasted.

Smoker%252527s%252520003.JPG

Smoker%252527s%252520008.JPG

I found a rotisserie ring on Craigslist a few weeks ago. It fits my 22-1/2 well but it's not a Weber brand. It has a motor bracket that fits my Genesis rotis motor. My spit rod for the Genesis was too long so I had to order a new shorter one from Weber which was still too long (had to cut off 1-1/2").Getting the point re-machined and a slot for the counterweight today. Can't waut to try it out on Tuesday.

I love it! From the looks of it, it appears we have maybe 5 new rotisserie users coming from this thread. Please do post after yours arrive and you begin using your new rotisserie.

Bill

I got lucky and found an unused rotisserie kit that fits both of my gassers for $5 on CL. Now I need to figure out how to make a ring that will work with this and fit a 22" kettle.
icon_biggrin.gif

I made a couple chickens on the gasser and they came out pretty good!

Wait'll you do your Thanxgiving turkey on it. You'll never do it in the oven again, unless you want a bird to house your stuffing!

Back