Rookie's Second Smoke...Help..Pressure

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello All,
I know someone will help calm a Rookie's nerves as he prepares for only his second Smoke, but has out-of-town relatives coming in for the long weekend.
My first smoke was relatively simple. 3lbs. of salmon fillet that had been marinated with a recipe out of Coastal Living. It came out awesome. Using the User Guide Instructions, I had some trouble getting the heat up to 225* but finally did with some vent adjustments and a second batch of briquettes. What a taste..! Wow..
Then I found this group and am asking for some pointers for my second smoke. Help calm my nerves,..Labor Day..Family...Pork Butt..inexperience = PRESSURE. I want to do a Pulled Pork Butt, and maybe some ribs and would love some "Must Do's" and "Must Avoid's". I'm not looking for something complicated..just real tasty and after reading the posts here, I know it will be tasty. Any help? What woods? How much for 9 adults? How long per pound? Chris' method for makin' fire? Minino method? How much beer?

O.K. I feel like I'm on the bubble of making the team, but need some Veteran advice..

Thanks Guys,
Brian L.

Brian,

I just got some great advice on my almost identical situation. Check out my post 'Scared to death about the long weekend' I think you'll get some great help.

Take Care,
Darren

I am no veteran but I have some pointers for you. First is allow yourself plenty of time, at least 3 hours more than you think! Easier to keep it warm than waiting for it to be done and hungry guests starving!

A mustard slathering and then put your favorite rub on it overnight is probably the easiest route to success. Take it out of the frig an hour before you put it in the WSM. Use the minion method and kind of cover the wood (don't need to soak) with the charcoal. For ribs I like to stay at 225 or lower. Babybacks I just cook for 4 hours never opening the lid and they come out great. Remember every time you open the lid add 15 minutes to your cooking time. Regular spares take longer. 7-9 hours in my experience. I mop at each halfway time.

My pork butts have usually been 2 hours a pound and I take them out at 185-190 and double foil them and put them in a cooler. This gets the temperature up and also keeps them ready for hours. Let them rest for 15-30 minutes before you slice or pull.

For normal eaters I would make a half rack per person or slightly less. Huge eaters can eat a full rack. Factor in some light eaters too plus you have pulled pork and side dishes. I would make about 4 -5 racks and a 5-6 lb butt and make at least two side dishes.

Beer is up to you!

Enjoy!

Another Western New Yorker!

Back in May I smoked up four racks of ribs and two pork butts to serve a crowd we had at our house. Everything turned out great but it did require a bit of time.

The night before, I trimmed the ribs and butts and prepped them for the smoke the next day. Took a few hours to get this all done so allow some time. Next morning, I fired up the WSM at 6:00AM, using the Minion method, and put the meat on around 7:00am. The WSM chugged along at an average 245 degrees for the next nine hours, with the exception of when I took off the lid to baste and turn the ribs and the butts and when I removed the ribs at 2:30 pm. After the nine hour make, I opened the bottom vents up to try to bring the internal temp of the butts up to the 180 degree mark, with little success. The butts were pulled of the smoker at 6:15pm with internal temps of 178 degrees & 175 degrees.

For this smoke I used the BRITU recipe for the ribs and a mustard slather for the butts. Both were (humbly) exceptional.

Things to be mindful of: Put your smoke wood on the coals just prior to putting the meat on. Keep your water pan replenished - check it whenever you baste and turn, which should be on the halves (half way point in you planned cooking time, then half again, and half again) and replenish with warm water. Keep an eye on the butt temps. It's going to take forever to get to 180 degrees, but be patient. It's worth it! Lastly, have a good time. Your guests will really enjoy your efforts.

Peace. Out.

Alan Bosch

Hey Brian, about your 'nerves'...

It's all about relaxin' friend! I recommend a comfortable chair 6-8 feet from the cooker & a cooler by your side. You'll taste the difference.

I would recommend that you start drinking early & often... the cookin' stuff will fall in place as you go, and if it dont, at least you wont get stressed out about it!

Good luck,

Theo B. Chillin'

Buffalo
Figure 2 hours a pound, cook the butts to at least 195? internal for pulled. Butts have a lot of fat and don't need a lot of mopping or spraying, so don't do a lot of peeking.
Check the waterpan aprox every 4 hours, may need a light stir of the coals after 6 or 7 hours. If the meals time is approaching and your still not to the internal temp you want, wrap the butts in foil, that will speed up the cook but does take away from the bark texture.
Hickory and pecan are very good but go easy with hickory can be very storng. Fruit woods are always a good choice. You only need a couple of fist size chunks for the whole cook. As you do more cooks you can try a little more wood until you reach the flavor level you, your family and friends like.
Start with a full fire ring of charcoal and start with say 15 to 20 burning coals, that should allow you to control the heat in the early stages of the cook. Don't worry if the pit temps get into 265? range, but keep them under 275? (burns the sugar in the rub over 275?).
Butts very forgiving so don't be afraid you do fine.
Have a good time
Jim
PS: Have just enough beer to stay comfortable.

Glad to see you made it here Brian. You must be the same Buffalo Brian I have seen at AT's site. Small world eh?
biggrin.gif

------------------
Chaz

[This message has been edited by Charlie Lister (edited 08-31-2001).]

What time is dinner? - you may want to do two six to seven pound butts (there is a lot of waste) a few days ahead of time and then some ribs the day of the party for fun. Butts take time not just because of cooking but also prep and cool down before pulling - just reheat the pulled pork on the stove and do the final seasoning, this will also give you time to join the party.

I love my WSM but I now do the best I can to fill it up as clean up takes me quite a bit of time.

May the smoke be with you,
Steve, ps - Jeff is right on the mark as I like the mustard rub as well and don't open the lid - use a Polder in the butt and another probe in a potato (two probes, one Polder).

All,
Thanks for all the advice. What an awesome group! I'll let you know how things work out. I'm more relaxed already. I can taste the Q now, mmmgood. Brian L. - Go Bills!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back