Rookie Says........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike in MD

TVWBB Fan
Outstanding! My maiden voyage with the WSM (or at bbqing for that matter) was a success given the tough conditions that, frankly, I was not ready for. Temp in Md at 7:00 was 36. Highs today in the low 60's (OK), STRONG winds came from nowhere between 10:00 and 5:00 (where DID they come from?). Constructed a wind break at 1:00. Did my best to keep lid temp at 250 all day. 6lb pork shoulder on for 10 hrs. 4lb chicken on for 5hrs. I pulled them from the WSM at 6:30 due to starvation. Pork internal temp was 175 after 10 hrs. At that internal temp, I sliced (bummer)the pork rather than pull it. Regardless, it was very, very tasty. Chicken was also very, very good.

I suspect the wind got me today. I documented the entire day and learned alot. I just finished constructing a 3 sided wind break for my WSM. It is 36 wide inches on all 3 sides with a height of 4 feet. I think that should be sufficient.

Thanks to all on this web site for the insight, tips, and suggestions. I really appreciate it. I have alot to learn, but it should only keep getting better from here!

Mike in Md

Mike-

There are lots of us who are learning, and I don't know of a better source to learn from than this bunch of folks.

I was amazed that I could have a question while at a critical point in a cook, for example "it is now at 172 degrees, is it ready??", and have someone like Jim Minion reply back in a matter of minutes that I should "TAKE IT OFF NOW" (my first attempt at pork butts). And they were GREAT!!

Tom

"Season to taste, and may it be a public one." F. McCall

I have read that some use a 55 gallon drum with both ends cut out for a windbreak for the WSM...a big "sleeve" so to speak, They say it works well, but I have not tried it yet. They recommend fabricating 2 handles for the drum for easy removal from around the WSM. Happy smokin'.

Down South Jukin'

Mike,

The wind caught me by surprise as well (here in southwest Virginia). I have been thinking about constructing a windbreak, but I have not, as of yet, gotten it together.
When the wind kicked up today, I made do with the quickest thing I could find.

Quick Fix

My temp had dropped 30 degrees in about ten minutes. It came back up 15 shortly after putting the wheelbarrow in place. I will have a better windbreak in place for my next cook!

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back