Rookie brisket run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nate Brown

Well I have my first brisket on the WSM right now. I am following the midnight brisket guide, which is apptley named since I started it at 9am this morning and it will probably be done about midnight tonight. I got the brisket at Albies for $1.69/lb. It was prepackaged but I couldn't find anything saying there were additives. I think it must have been pre-trimmed because there didn't seem to be a whole lot of trimming needed. This is only my 3rd smoke on the wsm, and I have learned that I need to close the vents sooner. I tried closing them when it reached my target temp, and ended up at 275F for about 30 min. before it came back down. Hope that doesn't hurt it.

Thanks for all the posts and guides that have enabled me to try this with a fair amount of confidence. Hopefully my co-workers will be impressed (fire dept.).

Good luck with the brisket. I think you'll find it one of the toughest meats to master. They are finicky, unforgiving, and no two briskets ever cook the same.

As far as temp control goes - it comes with practice. Lot's of practice. Just remember that the WSM responds slowly. Start adjusting vents before you near your target. Like I said it's a learned technique that comes in time.

Nate
It looks like the WBBQA is going to be holding a competition in Boise in July, will be giving judging and possibly cooking class at that event.
Hope we may get to see you there.
Jim

Thanks Jim,
I am going to try to make one or more of the WBBQA classes this summer. I can't make the one in May, so I will have to get in on a different one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back