Rolled Ribs

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
I've been cooking ribs on racks for a while. Seems to me they turn out better than flat on the grill. Now I need to cook 6 racks of loinbacks in one session for a company lunch. Looks like could do it if I rolled em. Any advice? Also looking for some help on rubs, and side sauce. Iv'e been using mustard & grill mates pork rub. Then mixing KC & honey for a side sauce. I have to impress these guys. I have all day Satureday to prep for Sunday's smoke.

I've generally followed the standard recipes found in the cooking forum. If you're ready to branch out, there are countless variations to found in the "rubs, marinades, brines and sauces" section. I'm doing a quick tri tip tomorrow, immediately followed by a butt. I'm going to follow one of Kevin K's rub recipes for the butt. http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1980069052/m...490083643#6490083643

I want to experiment with different flavors and no salt in the rub. (Kevin does salt the meat to draw out moisture). I've rolled ribs with bamboo skewers, and they've turned out great. Let us know what you end up choosing.

I use rolling some of the time, or rib racks the rest of the time, depending on what is in the cooker at the time. You can get 6 to 8 racks on a single grate if you roll and skewer.

They will end up banded, (color light and dark), where they touch themselves on the roll, if you leave them rolled till they are about 45 minutes to an hour from cooked, you can unroll them and finish them on a kettle, or lay them out flat on the grate and let them flatten out and gain some more color from, a spray or 3 of apple juice.

You are only doing 6 racks total, so you could do 3 on the top rack and 3 on the bottom rack if you use a rib racks, if you do use rib racks, lay the meat on the top rack directly over the meat on the bottom rack and let the juice from the top baste the ones on the bottom, switch the bottom to the top after 3 hours and then let the ones that were on the bottom, baste the ribs from the top that you moved to the bottom.

Rolling works great for me, I always roll my BB's. If you like the bark, make sure the overlapped section is as small as possible, because only exposed meat will develop bark. I have tried 2 or 3 different rib racks (free gifts) and none of them worked well enough for me to try a second time. I always have plenty of skewers around, plus it gives you something to easily pick up the racks with.

Instead of using a rack made for ribs try using a roast holder that is used to cook large roasts in the kitchen. Turn it upside down and put the ribs to be cooked in the slots. This works great.

Old Arkybub

Tomorrow I am prepping for smoking some rolled baby backs following this recipe on the bullet: http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/rib1.html

Usually if the bullet has it as a recipe, if you follow it you will enjoy your meal. My all time favorite is the midnight brisket.

I am extremely excited as it has been some time since I had a chance to smoke. I will be taking photos as I go along and plan to post them on line.

I will probbly use the cajun hot Willingham rub in place of the recipe rub.

Hopefully I will be enjoying ribs tomorrow over a Saints victory.

Thanks all,
I bought 2 cryo packs of loinbacks, each has 3 long racks. Man these things are gonna take up some space. Looks like I will have a full load tomorro. I can see I am going to have a hell of a time trying to arrange them not to touch each other.

Has anyone tried unrolling & putting in racks? Been rooled since 1:00pm, 3 hours. Now they look a little smaller.

I have unrolled and laid them out flat on the grate, if you can have your glaze set up well, you can lay them in a criss cross pattern meat side down, to finish, this can leave different touch marks, but it can be done with a little care.

I never rib racked them after they were rolled, I rib racked them instead of rolling, or rolled then laid flat, I have even rolled and finished on a kettle.

Thanks all,
Rolled ribs turned out great. 6 racks, one smoke. Ribs were a big hit at the company lunch. I heard that people were snacking on them from the fridge before I could warm them up for the lunch. Funny thing, I could not locate any leftovers, even though I knew there was. I know someone hijacked my ribs. What a great compliment.

Back