Rolled Ribs Tied Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonny Jordan

TVWBB Super Fan
Have been getting ribs lately from Sam's. Their package has three racks in it. I haven't yet bought a rib rack, so had to come with something different.

After removing the membranes and fixing the ribs up with the rub, I turned them on the side and rolled them to where each end touches. Got some butcher's string (cotten, not polyester or nylon) and tied them with just one loop around the meat. I got all three ribs easily in my WSM and could have probably held one more.

This worked great.

SonnyJ

Rolling and skewering also works well and is easy to do. Chris documents this technique here (you'll need to scroll down the page a bit). I use stainless steel skewers.

Steve

After realizing I didn't have skewers, the butcher's string was a plan B.

Cooked the ribs at 230 deg. for 4 hrs rolled up. Cut the strings and foiled them stacked on top of each other and in the WSM for 2 more hours. Took them out, sauced, back in foil and rested for 1 hr. Kids said the best I had ever done.

Also smoked a flat of chicken thighs(?) that had been marinating in Wishbone Italian dressing overnight. They were great, too.

Working up my courage to do a butt and brisket.

Thanks for the replys!
sonnyJ

Sonny, cooking a butt or brisket is no different than ribs or chicken except for the time. I do a brisket every other weekend and from start to finnish is 8-10 hrs. If doing a whole packers cut separate them that way you can cook the flat to its desired temp and the point to its temp. When you leave it whole the flat gets done before the point and if you leave it on to get the point up to temp then the flat gets dried out IMO. It's very easy to separate them. Here is the link to show you how to separate the flat and point How to Separate the Flat From the Point Happy Smoking Bryan /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back