Roasting/freezing Hatch Chiles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
During a recent trip through NM and CO, I became fond of... no, make that pretty much ADDICTED to chile verde - the mild-ish green chile sauce that goes over everything from breakfast burritoes to pork. The locals out at Chama told me to look for Bueno brand frozen chopped roasted chiles - that that was what most of the restaurants used. I've been in contact with the company, but, unfortunately, I can't find anyone around the Tulsa area who carries them, and I'm not quite ready to pay $19 for six 13-oz tubs of frozen chiles and then $46 for the freight to get them here.

My question is this. Our local Albertson's has 30 lb sacks of beautiful Hatch chiles for $15.99. Now, yes, I realize this is a LOT of chiles, but I'm considering doing a massive marathon roasting session. Is there any particular trick to successfully roasting, chopping, and freezing chiles for future use? I've roasted them before for immediate use, but have never frozen them after roasting. I've read recommendations to leave the skins on and freeze the roasted chiles whole, and have ALSO read that removing the skins and chopping before freezing is the way to go.

My standard approach is pretty much as described HERE.
Any opinions from those who have done this before?

Many thanks -
Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Keri-

Roast away!
Freeze them whole skins on or off. There is a slight flavor/texture advantage to leaving the skin on and if you're planning a marathon roast it will save time.
After they are off the grill and completely cool I first line them up on a cookie sheet with a bit of space between them and then freeze them, after which I put them in bags and return them to the freezer.
I've always been one to remove seeds after roasting but if you prefer to do it before--many do--that's fine. It's better not to chop them before freezing. When partially thawed the skin comes right off and you can chop while partially frozen.

Kevin

Thanks for the pointer, Tom - I'll check that group out. Kevin, I appreciate the tips. Chile Verde, here I come!

I would really like to get some fresh hatch chiles to roast and smoke. Anybody know how far east they get
icon_confused.gif
Bryan

I've seen them in Hartford, Providence, and Boston. I would think someone would carry them in Penn. Try calling a produce company in Philly-or the wholsesale market there. Someone should know who has them.

Can anybody recomend a cookbook to go with the hatch chiles? I saw on the foodnetwork a lady rolling stuffed (with cheese i think) chiles in breading/cornmeal/flour something like that, and then frying them they sure looked good. Can't remember what the heck they were called.
icon_frown.gif
Thanks bryan

Chiles Rellenos.
Though traditionally stuffed with Queso Fresco or Adobera, battered, fried, and served with tomato sauce there are many versions some, as you've seen, use a breading instead. I knew a creative chef from Oaxaca that used dried Anchos
--different and very good.

I'll think up a recipe and post it later today.

I like Rick Bayless' books.

Okay, done.

I wrote a recipe for chiles rellenos here that has both approaches--battered or cornmealed. If you try it, let me know what you think.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by K Kruger:
... When partially thawed the skin comes right off and you can chop while partially frozen ...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> this means you can do the skin removal easily and a bit at a time (when needed) maybe it protects the chile flesh some too. I made some green chile salsa once with two cookie sheets of oven roasted chilies and it took bloody forever to peel those suckers. 30lbs Keri? If it went as well for you the job could be done by say Thanksgiving, maybe.
icon_wink.gif

Did they steam after roasting in a covered bowl 30 min or so? Usually that'll do it if they're well-blistered. I have had some that were harder to do--never knew why.

Keri, Did you ever get the Hatch Chiles and roast them. Just curious i have 30 lbs of them coming my way in the next 2 weeks.
icon_eek.gif
Bryan

Okay, okay, I'm here, I'm here! I haven't gotten to play here as much as I like, and I'm just now getting back. Yes, I initially bought about 3 pounds, and roasted them very successfully on my gas grill. Roasted 'em till the skin turned almost black, and then I put them into a plastic bag for a while. If you lay them in the grill and QUIT MESSING WITH THEM they'll take about 5 minutes per side to turn dark. I put them into a ziplock and straight into the refrigerator as we had somewhere we needed to go at the time. The skins just slipped right off when I came back to them. I also bought 30 lb (a $15 toesack full), that I had roasted for the princely sum of $5, a special promo that our Albertson's was doing. They didn't roast them as dark as I did on the gasser, so the skins didn't come off as easily. I only skinned about 20 chiles or immediate use, and then put the rest into gallon freezer bags, about a dozen to the bag, laying out as flat as possible. I remembered from my lessons here that when they thaw, the skins will slip even easier, but that you want to leave the roast skins on them when you freeze them for the flavor. My chile verde sauce recipe uses one cup of chopped chiles, and 12 chiles just about makes that amount up - that's why I froze them in those amounts. I think I made up about 25 bags for the freezer.

So far I've had chile verde sauce on breakfast burritoes, with chicken, and with chopped leftover brisket stirred into it.
icon_biggrin.gif

MANY thanks to all here who served as my chile advisors. It has been greatly appreciated!

So what else can I do ya for?

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time

Keri, Thanks so much for the response. Just trying to get prepared for when the chiles come.Now i really can't wait. Thanks again. And have a great day.
icon_wink.gif
Bryan

The tubs of frozen chopped roasted chiles would have been easier, but it's amazing how different the taste is between chile verde made with canned chiles and chile verde made with these roasted ones. Enjoy! And be sure to wear some of those plastic gloves. Trust me on this.
icon_rolleyes.gif

kc

You got it, sweetie - my green chile sauce recipe is here, such as it is. I'm not sure if it belongs in the rubs/sauces area or in the side dishes area, but I'm sure Chris'll move it if he feels the need to. <Grin>

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time (and lovin' those chiles)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back