Roasting coffee while looking at threads

So just wondering since this seems to be the place where people know a lot about beans. (coffee beans LOL). I recall reading somewhere but can't remember where. Do darker roasts benefit from a higher or lower brew temperature? Likewise what about roasts still on the dark side but more "medium"?
I've seen it written various places that darker roasts benefit from lower brew temps, but I've never even considered modifying brew temps based on the level of roast. Seems like chasing shadows at some point, Larry. :) ......but, if you try it, and notice some significant impact, let us know! ;)

R

I've seen it written various places that darker roasts benefit from lower brew temps, but I've never even considered modifying brew temps based on the level of roast. Seems like chasing shadows at some point, Larry. :) ......but, if you try it, and notice some significant impact, let us know! ;)

R
Well, I may. If you check my thread on Technivorm I am putting my old OXO 9 Cup into service for tomorrow's brew with the SF Bay French Roast. I brewed it today with the Breville, left on Gold setting. Tomorrow I will see if the ability of the OXO to brew slightly hotter than the Breville on Gold. So, I will see. The following day, I will brew back in the Breville but on "My Brew" and rather than Gold I will try, "bloom 40 seconds" brew temp I will drop back to 195, (the Breville holds very accurately to it's setting due to it being PID controlled and using a pump) so it hits a temp and holds. I will be reporting back

When I make espresso, I can adjust the brew temp on my espresso machine by flushing more water through it before I pull the water through the grinds. It's actually very easy to do on the fly... Most more modern machines just have very adjustable brew temps (unlike my 2005 machine) but mine is more "manual" heat exchanger type machine.

For darker beans, it is typical to aim for a temperature of about 195-197 degrees. For lighter beans (which is what I typically prefer), targeted temps are closer to 203-204. Lighter beans do not give up the flavor compounds during brewing as easily as darker roasted beans. The roasting process breaks down the compounds in the beans so the darker the roast, the easier it is to extract flavor with the cooler water.

I've been tinkering with the idea of modifying my OXO Brew 8 with a PID controller so I can increase brew temperatures with a digital control.

Actually, if you have the Breville Precision Brewer, you can pretty well do this already....I'm jealous and I would have probably bought that machine had I known that at the time...

Last edited:
When I make espresso, I can adjust the brew temp on my espresso machine by flushing more water through it before I pull the water through the grinds. It's actually very easy to do on the fly... Most more modern machines just have very adjustable brew temps (unlike my 2005 machine) but mine is more "manual" heat exchanger type machine.

For darker beans, it is typical to aim for a temperature of about 195-197 degrees. For lighter beans (which is what I typically prefer), targeted temps are closer to 203-204. Lighter beans do not give up the flavor compounds during brewing as easily as darker roasted beans. The roasting process breaks down the compounds in the beans so the darker the roast, the easier it is to extract flavor with the cooler water.

I've been tinkering with the idea of modifying my OXO Brew 8 with a PID controller so I can increase brew temperatures with a digital control.

Actually, if you have the Breville Precision Brewer, you can pretty well do this already....I'm jealous and I would have probably bought that machine had I known that at the time...
Yes, the OXO is a one trick pony. Whereas the Breville can (thanks to it's PID controller and flow control with a pump) control temps.

Some people rescue dogs, cats, and/or Webers, I also rescue an occasional Livia.....

Attachments

• IMG_0873.jpg
    IMG_0873.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0874.jpg
    IMG_0874.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0881.jpg
    IMG_0881.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
That thing is huge. I would not know where to put it, plus looks like it takes an engineering degree to get a cup out of it :D

Some people rescue dogs, cats, and/or Webers, I also rescue an occasional Livia.....
Hank, is this the one you said you were fixing up for your son on the West Coast? I just brewed an afternoon pick-me-up on mine! :) Mine works like a champ since I got it in Dec, so I have no desire to pull it apart and possibly discover things that need fixing! :)

What's the serial number on that one? Mine's 33131, which Pasquini says makes it a '98ish model.

1706742701167.jpeg

The s/n is 41149 on the “new” one and I just made a couple of lattes on it.
The one I’ve been using for the last 7 years has a much newer one but since it was pieced together from a couple of non working units I guess it doesn’t really have one.
I just got a pf mounted gauge and found that both machines opv setting was 14+ bars so this was the first brew at 10 +.
This is the one which will be going to San Rafael.

Attachments

• IMG_0887.jpeg
    IMG_0887.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 2
I think that most Livias came from the factory with the opv set around 15bars, as built they could overflow the small drip tray with recycled water at9 or 10 bar. I have a post on https://www.home-barista.com/repairs/adjusting-opv-on-livia-90-and-why-t92047.html which shows how to make the adjustment. If you haven't done so already, you should relocate the OPV outlet line from the drip tray back to the reservoir.
OPV adjustment to 10bars made a lot of difference on my machines...

Attachments

• PFgauge.jpg
    PFgauge.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 2

Back