Roaster Oven

Todd Randall

TVWBB Pro
My wife just picked one up from Kohl's. 22 Quart. Temp settings adjustable from 150-450. Reg price 79.99 I think she said, on sale for 64.99 and then she used her Kohl's card for an extra 15% off plus tax came to a total of 59.80.

It got me to thinking, with that low 150 temp setting, how well would that work for holding the big cuts (pork butt, brisket, etc) at temp for long periods? Like say the butts finished at 9am, cooler them for 3 hours, then transfer to the roaster at 150 for another say 3-4 hours? Keep them double wrapped in foil, maybe toss in a disposable pan in the bottom of the roaster. Would the meat dry out in that type of environment do you think?

If anybody has a Kohl's around, it was the Rival 22 Quart Stainless Steel Roaster Oven, model 859752 I believe.

Todd

Two things--mainly--to holding: heat and moisture/humidity. One does not want to apply heat, viz. one does not want to create a heat environment that is high enough (temp-wise) that further coking takes place. 150 is a good hold temp in this regard. One also does not want to dry anything out; with adequate humidity (possibly more than one would think), drying would not appreciably occur.

With those issues handled, holding for some time would not be a problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
One also does not want to dry anything out; with adequate humidity (possibly more than one would think), drying would not appreciably occur. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I agree with K.K. For me drying out would be my biggest concern. The 150 temp is fine but even at that low temp it will dry out on you. Might take some trial and error. I'd like one of the big Azz roaster things but I have no room for one. I think they would come in handy for many things.
icon_cool.gif
score.

Ok, so it sounds like I could use it for holding over long periods.

I need to create a humid environment inside the roaster, got it.

How about putting a hot water pan in the very bottom, then use something like cookie cooling racks and place the meat above the water.

Do you guys think that would create enough humidy in this passive way? Or would I need to be looking for some way to actively create humidy?

Thanks again for your replies,
Todd

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> I need to create a humid environment inside the roaster, got it.

How about putting a hot water pan in the very bottom, then use something like cookie cooling racks and place the meat above the water.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

When you hold large pieces of meat, do not slice it until you're ready to serve. Ideally, you could pour some of the drippings/juice that came from the meat directly over the meat and foil. If no drippings are available, broth or apple juice can be used. The foiling will help hold the moisture in.

Back