Roasted peppers

Dan Godwin

TVWBB Member
I got a deal on sweet peppers at the Farmer's Market last Thursday, and had a chance to take care of them this morning.

pepper02.jpg

I washed them well while the charcoal was lighting up in the chimney.

pepper01.jpg

I brushed them with vegetable oil, and put them on the grill on direct heat. I turned them a couple times until the skins where mostly charred, and removed them.

pepper03.jpg

I put them in a paper bag to steam the skins off, but if I were to do it again, I'd do something different. All the paper bags ended up losing their bottoms due to the pepper leaking water/juice. Lost a few peppers that way.

I ended up only doing 2 of the 3 bowls, as the bees were out in full force, and one got me in the stomach through my shirt. After cooling, I removed the skins and seeds, and put them in ziptop bags in the freezer. From the 2 bowls, we ended up with 6 quart size bags full. No pictures of the finished product :(

I'm intrigued by the purple ones. Nice haul. Next time put them in a large pot with a lid instead of a paper bag. Works for me every time. I guess even the bees love your cooking. Sorry about the sting.

Great looking peppers luv the purple ones, you can also put them in a large bowl and put plastic wrap tight over the bowl to steam the skins.

The purple ones turn green when cooked, so they are best raw. I had never had the copper colored ones before. Not sure if they're just older red ones, but they were tasty (I had a couple with some chorizo tacos tonight) Thanks for the kind words. I'll be sure to take more photos in future cooks.

I'm intrigued by the purple ones. Nice haul. Next time put them in a large pot with a lid instead of a paper bag. Works for me every time. I guess even the bees love your cooking. Sorry about the sting.

+1. A pot with a lid works well, plus you can pull them off as they are done and toss them in when you do more than a few peppers.

They were very pretty peppers. I like the Siamese twins in the first pic.

Back