Roasted Peppers

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This summer's experiment with growing peppers was a disappointment. Jalapenos,anchos, and habenaros. The crop was small and lacked much flavor.

In a weak moment, after a 300 degree chicken cook, I decided to take all the peppers and roast them. I piled all the peppers on the top shelf and let it run all night. It started hot and ran till the fire was out.

The peppers looked almost black. Probably way too hot. They were crisp. I just crunched them up minus the stems.

They have some heat and good smoked flavor-they are probably burnt by most folks standards. I sprinkle sparingly on whatever needs a little flavor.

If you haven't smoked and dried some peppers, you might give it a try.

Why a disappointment? Think weather was an issue?

I smoke peppers often but I'm getting low and need to do some more. When peppers aren't the focus per se I do what you did and just throw them on after I pull whatever I'm cooking. I damper way down and just take them out when I think of it. Sometimes they're as yours were, sometimes they smoke but don't really dry enough or roast, and other times they're near perfect. I don't really care, I use them all anyway.

Kevin, what color should I shoot for? These peppers were 90% green- no red, orange etc.
Do you shoot for a certain temp. range?

If your peppers are green shoot for a very dull greenish brown or chocolatey brown. If you can maintain it a low temp is best. When my focus is peppers then I'm looking for a very low, very slow cook: less than 175 for almost a day to almost two days depending on what I can swing. If I'm just tossing some on after a cooking I damper down to keep whatever coals are left barely going (sometimes adding a few) and just wing it and see what I end up with. Btw, ripe tend to taste best. Habaneros are trickier and best smoked when they are your only focus. Bells, poblanos, and the other thicker peppers are more forgiving for an after-smoke toss-on.

We had so many hot banana peppers this year you could choke a horse. We only have a 4'x8' raised bed and the peppers just kept on coming.

My problem with peppers this year was not heat or lack there of, but geese. They kept coming up from the pond and eating them. The next door neighbors actually grow the garden (for a hobby) and let me take what-ever I want. They also feed the ducks and geese so I didn't fill I should go out and shoo them away. The neighbors didn't care if the geese at the peppers.

Hmmmm...I believe there is a brine and smoked goose recipe around here somewhere....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back