Roast smoked duck

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff lowe

TVWBB Super Fan
Made a roasted smoked duck for the first time today!

I thawed out the duck a day earlier and butterflyed it. Massaged and pulled on the skin so it separates put did not tear. Took a fork and punched holes all over the skin. Applied a dry rub and set on a rack with a fan blowing to dry the skin for about 2 hours.

Put into the refrigerator uncovered to let the skin dry more overnight.

No water in the pan but used it for the drippings. Minion method on the charcoal and put the duck right in on the top rack. Got temperature to a high of 340 degrees and then to a steady 325. Cooked until the breast read 160 internal. This took about 1 hour 15 minutes.

The duck came out fantastic with crispy skin and juicy inside. Serve with orange glaze, apricot, or a berry glaze sauce on the side or glaze it the last 20 minutes.

Give duck a try, it is really easy and very forgiving I think because of its high fat content.

Let me know next time you are going to make it and I will stop by! - no wait you live "by the other ocean".

Steve

Sounds great. The higher heat must of crisped up the skin. I did chicken for the first time this weekened at about 250, and the skin wasn't too crispy.

I'm goin to keep experimenting!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back