Roast Duck Day...

GrantT

TVWBB Pro
A nice young Grade A Canadian duck sitting here coming up to room temp. Nothing but sea salt today for seasoning. Nothing in the pit for additional smoke - only Kamado Joe big block lump charcoal mixed with Weber briquettes. Trying to keep the flavor as natural as possible.

Waiting for the Summit Kamado to stabilize at 425ish before it goes on. Will start it breast side down so it cooks a bit more evenly (I hope) without overcooking the breast.

1649543821181.png

We are oven roasting a large tray of mixed vegetables (onions, brussell sprouts, broccoli, and carrots) tossed in salt/pepper and garlic infused olive oil, and making a cheesy polenta (chicken broth for the liquid and a ton of parmigiano reggiano).

More duck cooking techniques, please. I’ve only done oven roasted and confit style. And I’d love to grill a duck.

So, I basically followed this video...but used my Summit Kamado at 425 degrees as the oven. No smoking wood...just a clean burn, as I wanted the duck to shine.

That said, it was a bit overdone, but still very very good. Nothing but lots of salt on the skin and I would recommend and do that again...it needed nothing else. Flavor was amazing....just nice salty duck. Skin was nice and crispy. Legs/thighs were excellent, breast was overdone, but still nice and tender overall.

I saw so many other techniques...dip into boiling water, separating skin from meat before cooking, pouring boiler water over top, long drying times in fridge etc...but I try to stay simple. I did score the skin, salt, and gave it 6-8 hours in the fridge to dry...that was about it.

So, I basically followed this video...but used my Summit Kamado at 425 degrees as the oven. No smoking wood...just a clean burn, as I wanted the duck to shine.

That said, it was a bit overdone, but still very very good. Nothing but lots of salt on the skin and I would recommend and do that again...it needed nothing else. Flavor was amazing....just nice salty duck. Skin was nice and crispy. Legs/thighs were excellent, breast was overdone, but still nice and tender overall.

I saw so many other techniques...dip into boiling water, separating skin from meat before cooking, pouring boiler water over top, long drying times in fridge etc...but I try to stay simple. I did score the skin, salt, and gave it 6-8 hours in the fridge to dry...that was about it.

I’m down for this. Need a new dish for Passover next week and you just found it for me! Thanks!

Back