Roadside "Genesis Silver B LP Mica Blk SWE Cast Iron Grates" find

JBaker

TVWBB Super Fan
Picked up another persons cast-off over the weekend. Looks to be a 2002 "Genesis Silver B LP Mica Blk SWE Cast Iron Grates" as determined by the Weber site. Serial # DU xxxxxxxx.

Overall excellent condition, just real dirty. Frame is solid, firebox is straight, slide out catch pan etc all good. CI grates still solid, but lots of flaking.

I picked up a new igniter for it, Weber OEM. It will need a set of burners, the rear one turned to dust as I was trying to remove it from slide fit area.. Is it best to go Weber OEM on the burners, ~$55, or is going aftermarket acceptable?

This will be refurbed and then passed along to my daughter, it will be a nice companion to the $20 22" kettle w/ original Weber wood side table I picked up last year for her.

Many thanks for your expertise.

You can get perfectly good burners on amazon for $20. I have a set I got off Amazon on my grill that were only $13 when I got them more than three years ago....still going strong. You could have replaced the igniter for about $7 as well. If you want to replace the grates, I suggest a good aftermarket set off Amazon....Solid stainless steel rod grates for about $60. Same thing for Flavorizer bars. A good set would be under $40 for 16ga Stainless steel.

Thanks Bruce for the info.
I'll be ordering the burners later today, will take your advice.
I didn't mind spending the extra couple of dollars for the igniter, and those dollars went to a small local home/garden/hardware store. But if I can save $30 on the burners, that tips the scales a bit.
The Flavorizer are in fine shape, no rot anywhere. The grates I'll need to look at later too. Lots of "flaking" but they're still solid.

I've put a little bit of time into the rehab. A few things:

Simple Green? Damn, I never knew this stuff was so good. After getting the grill apart I sprayed down the pieces and put them in a heavy black plastic trash bag, layed out in the sun for 15 minutes. Debris was slipping off the parts, then a little scrub with a greenie sponge got most of the gunk off.

Cast Iron Grates? These appear to be the original CI grates, not the porcelain covered. Lots of flaking rust, but they're still pretty solid. I've gotten all of the old food out of the crevices, wire brushed down both sides, will next get them over a nice charcoal fire the next time I grill out. A few seasonings may get them back in shape.
The grill I most recently did a bit of repair on also had the original CI grates, they were both fully rusted through, big holes. I replaced the grates with decent quality SS, and returned the grill to the owner. Was up at his place last week, he was using the old CI grate on the SS. I may swap out the SS for these CI. My daughter would be happy with either.

Manifold Rehab: The valves were a bit sticky, so I figured I would pull them apart, clean, grease. It appears that somebody may have been there before, one of the brass screws are damaged. I PB Blasted all of the screws, let it soak overnight, then used a pick to clean out the heads. That's when I noticed the damage. I was able to get the other 5 screws out with no issue. I tried the rubber band trick between the screwed and the screwdriver, no luck. The valves I did get apart were incredibly gunked up, I'm thinking someone was in there with a "standard" grease.
Manifold Question: Has anybody had any luck drilling these screws out? Then using an easy out? Or can the entire single valve be swapped with a known good spare without issue? Or is there a better way to address this? I'd rather not sink $$$ in for a new manifold assembly.

Parts Ordered: I've ordered a fresh set of burners, a couple of casters, an igniter. It will need the cage to hold the drip pan, I have a spare on hand. Other investments are a couple of cans of paint, the Simple Green, other items already in the garage. Will need the SS bolt for the firebox, I had to grind that off..

So, the biggest hurdle is the repair of the valve. Any ideas?

Here's a before and what it looks like now.

Attachments

• First Wash.jpg
    First Wash.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 30
  • In Process.jpg
    In Process.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 30
We're talking the brass valves here....part of the manifold.

I'd like what you're having.....

Back