Rich's Texas Style Rub

RichPB (richlife)

TVWBB Wizard
Ok, yes, I include my name in my own recipe's so I can search them out easily. But the real credit for this goes to @K Kruger and his Metamorphosis Rub. I started the recipe as a short ad hoc listing of ingredients for a Texas-style rub (because of the large portion of black pepper and salt). It had a few other items and then I started looking at some other Texas-style rubs and altered my list. But most of all I have always remember Kevin's discussion of his Metamorphosis Rub, so dug that up from my paper file and made the major alterations to include most of his suggestions. One of the exceptions was that Kevin created a salt-free rub and describes how he add salt pre-rub based on what he's preparing. ( https://tvwbb.com/threads/metamorph...eed-a-new-rub-for-this-year.30937/#post-58936 )

I used my version for the Franken(stein?) smoke ( https://tvwbb.com/threads/franken-stein-smoking.92476/#post-1057814 ) where I tried three versions using the rub after which I decided the basic rub on the ribs was better than the wine addition options. (All were very good to me, but this rub is better unadulterated in my opinion. (The ribs were well-coated with the rub and marinated overnight.) I've never actually tried Kevin's Metamorphosis rub, but this experiment puts that first up in my beef cook list.

Rich's Texas Style Rub

After Kevin Kruger's metamorphosis rub

1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp smoked paprika
3 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
2 tbsp Kosher salt
1 tsp chipotle or jalapeno powder
1 tsp ancho chili
1 tsp chili powder
2 tbsp garlic powder
2 tbsp onion powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp marjoram
1 tsp thyme
1 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Grind and coarse spices. Start with brown sugar and paprika making sure all lumps are out. Ade ingredients one at a time still make sure no lumps. Use blender if needed.

From what I know, most Texas rubs are just salt and pepper -- maybe an add or two. But "Texas Chili" is all beef -- no beans, etc. Since I prefer a similar chili but with beans, I figure I can prefer a similar rub. I hope you'll let me know how you like it if you try it -- or Kevin's Metamorphosis.

Back