Ribs

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I plan to load the WSM up this weekend with baby backs - both top and bottom racks... Do I need to be comcerned with the top rack being done a lot sooner than the bottom? Do I need to swap them after half the cooking process? I know the BRITU ribs says to turn them over and end for end in the rib rack, but doesn't relly mention switching from bottom to top... Sure seems like a lot of heat will be lost having to do that...
I am going to branch out a little - even though I don't think ribs could be any better than using the BRITU recipe, I am going to do half using BRITU and the other half doing the "Apple City Baby Backs" out of Smoke and Spice... Anybody out there try these - and what are your thoughts about these ribs ?!?
Thanks,
Gary in Searcy, AR

Gary,
I would think you will know the answer to this when you go to flip or baste the ribs. In my experience, it was obvious that the upper rack was getting done faster than the lower rack. I have a little cart that I keep next to the WSM when I am cooking. It holds both racks, which I take out for the rotation, putting the lid back on the WSM so the heat loss is minimal.

good luck--makes we want to buy some ribs, was planning on a chicken feast with the neighbors but a few rib appetizers always goes well

Dale

Gary, this is probably too late, but I normally rotate top and bottom about half way through the expected cooking time. I think it helps everything get done about the same time.

I have made the Apple City recipe, except I used spares instead of babies. I thought it was pretty good. What I liked better was the recipe for ribs that calls for the Bor-B-Que sauce. I really liked the taste of the sauce. The problem I have is my wife and daughter seem to like my dry ribs the best. I use the All South Rub from the BBQ FAQ and smoke over hickory.

Doug W.

Thinking about rib rotation got me to thinking about having some as appetizers, so Tuesday night went out and got 2 baby backs and one huge sparerib. Used Apple City on baby backs and britu on spare. Both came out excellent and both were completely consumed, along with a dozen thighs and 8 breasts. All that for 6 adults and 6 kids.

I really liked the color on the apple city recipe. Mahogany golden and nice and sticky. And as suggested, I rotated racks after 3 hours.

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back