ribs with extra meat

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

I smoke on a Weber kettle grill and had good luck using the BRITU method. The first time I did ribs were with Hormel "enhanced" ribs and while they turned out good they were on the salty hammy side. This past weekend I tried some ribs that were behind my grocery store meat counter. I was told the store cuts these ribs off of the loins and they leave extra meat on them this way and at $4.99/lb they better have alot of meat on them. I smoked 3 racks at 225 for 4 hours but I think next time I will go another hour because of the extra meat. They were very good and reminded me of eating a pork chop. Has anyone else ran across ribs like this? Is there a name for them?

Hiya Dan
Welcome to the board
Yes, I have seen ribs like that after I cut them off the loin. I got a full bone in loin roast. You can do it whole, see here
or you can cut between the ribs to make chops, or you can separate the ribs from the loin, leaving as much meat on the ribs as seems reasonable. If you leave too much on I think the ribs come out a bit dry on the meaty part.

hth
morgan

Thanks for the info. The ribs I used wasn't a full blown bone-in loin roast or your typical baby back rib, somewhere in between. Like you said, the ribs were separated from the loin but had a reasonable amount of meat left on them. Very tasty, instead of eating a whole rack myself, 3 ribs were plenty.

Dan,

Next time ask your butcher for spare ribs. They tend to be meatier than BB without the fuss. They take a little longer to cook but are well worth it.

Back