Ribs & Turkey Breast

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was thinking about doing these 2 this weekend. Turkey Breast on the bottom grate and Ribs on the top. Is this a reasonable combination?

The only whole turkey breast I could find is pre-injected, so I won't be brining. Should I use a rub on the turkey? If so, can someone point me to a good poultry rub recipe? And how long ahead of time should I apply the rub for the turkey?

Thanks in advance.

Although I don't care to have fat dripping on poultry, the alternative of putting the turkey on top over anything else is unacceptable.

Rub doesn't penetrate poultry skin too well, so try slipping your fingers up under the skin on either side of the breast bone, creating pockets you can sprinkle some rub down into just prior to cooking or in advance if there's not much salt in it. A friend of mine creates a rub/butter paste he sticks under the skin, but I don't think that's necessary.

Also might want to consider that poultry turns out better cooked at a higher temp rather than low & slow. You're not trying to render out intramuscular fat like you are with butt, ribs, brisket, etc.

Tom

If you go with the ribs and turkey breast, you'll need to go low and slow at 250 with water/sand in your pan. You can, and many do, go with higher temp and an empty foiled pan for turkey, but you can't do that with ribs. Personally, I'm well satisfied with low/slow on chicken halves since I discard the skin. I did 6 halves recently, went 5 hrs and the internal temp was about 160 in the breast and 180 in the tighs. Meat was very moist and juicy

With the turkey breast you'll have less fat and I don't see a problem in basting it with the rib drippings. My guess is they'll both finish in around 5 hrs, but you may want to use a probe in the turkey so it doesn't get above 155 or it will dry out. Check you ribs for tenderness with a tootpick and see if it goes in easily.

I think any commercial rubs work well but I'm not too picky.

Good luck on your cook !

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back