Ribs, tried something different

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
As you all know, i am still learning how to cook on my smoker, but also, bar b q in general. The other day i had company coming and did not plan in time to use the smoker for a long low/slow. So, I put a slab of spares in foil after putting a dry rub on them. I stuck them in my weber gas grill at 250 lid. The foil included a cup or two of apple juice, so i guess i really braised the ribs. Anyway, 3.5 hours later, I pulled them from the foil to put them on the grill and add the sause. Amazingly, they were so tender I had to get a spatsula, two of them, to flip the ribs. The bones were falling right off, almost too tender. Though they were great, and my guests loved them, I might have pulled them a bit earlier and let them cook over the fire for 30-60 minutes to crisp and dry out a bit.

what do you think? I know it's not true smoking but what do you like/dislike about this method? just curious.

If I was going to cook for 3.5 hours, I would have used the wsm!

There are lots of ways to get ribs tender, but I prefer the wsm......and I can do baby backs in 2.5 hours if I want.

Keep working at it, you'll find what works best and like best....and if this is the way you like to cook them , then cool!

If you have that much time, why not smoke them at 325 to 350 uncovered, adding another layer to the flavor profile and adding good coloration for an hour or so before putting them in the foil?

Back