Ribs too salty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keith Wittman

Well, I tried some baby back ribs and they were extremely salty, to the point that you really could not eat them. After reading some more info on on TVWB, it may have been the wood. I used about 6 big chunks of hickory and nothing else. So, I'm not giving up but I'm not doing too well either.

Keith the wood I don't believe is the problem, ribs have a large amount of surface and small amount of mass so it is easy to over salt with your rub. What did you use for rub and how heavy did you apply it?
Jim

You may have also gotten "enhansed" ribs. These are cryo-vaced and have a salt/water solution added to the meat. By themselves, it is not overpowering, but when coupled with a salty rub, it can overpower.

Also, most recipes call for Kosher salt or some other manner of non-iodized salt. If you used standard iodized table salt, it's usually a good idea to cut in half the amount of salt you use for a rub.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jim Minion:
[qb] Keith the wood I don't believe is the problem, ribs have a large amount of surface and small amount of mass so it is easy to over salt with your rub. What did you use for rub and how heavy did you apply it?
Jim [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I used a rub from BBQ'n Fools which has these ingredients:
Salt, Garlic, Monosodium Glutamate, Sugar, Black Pepper, Onion, Paprika, Red Bell Pepper Granules, Oregano, Smoke Flavor, and Silicon Dioxide to prevent caking.

I applied mustard and rub about 6 hours before cooking. Then sprinkled some more rub after about 2 1/2 hours of cooking. Thank you very much for the advise.

Keith,

I had that problem with my first few batches of ribs. I eliminated the salt completely from my rub. I don't miss the salt at all.

If you still want the salt, don't include it in your rub and salt the ribs separately. That way it is easier to gauge how much salt is being applied.

Rob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Keith Wittman:
[qb] I used a rub from BBQ'n Fools which has these ingredients:
Salt, Garlic, Monosodium Glutamate, Sugar, Black Pepper, Onion, Paprika, Red Bell Pepper Granules, Oregano, Smoke Flavor, and Silicon Dioxide to prevent caking.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If those are in the listed order on the package, the first ingredient is always what there is the most of in the product, followed by the next most, and so on. I never any use salt in my pork rubs, and very little on beef.

Couple of things one, I would not cut salt out of my rub, the salt is part of the process that makes BBQ BBQ. I would not rub ribs 6 hours in advance and if they are solution added I would way back on the salt in the rub.
Appling rub a couple of hours before a cook is plenty and you can wait until there done to see if additional seasoning is needed. Had you tasted them, more than likely you would have not added the second helping of rub.
I smoke cigars and if I used no salt in rubs I would find it quite bland, the use of salt is a personel preference situation.
Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
I used a rub from BBQ'n Fools which has these ingredients:
Salt, Garlic, Monosodium Glutamate, Sugar, Black Pepper, Onion, Paprika, Red Bell Pepper Granules, Oregano, Smoke Flavor, and Silicon Dioxide to prevent caking. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>If those are in the listed order on the package, the first ingredient is always what there is the most of in the product, followed by the next most, and so on. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Have you tried tasting just the rub? Does it taste real salty? If so, remembering how heavily you applied the rub and how often, does this seem like the more probable cause of the problem?

I prefer a more sweet rub on pork. In the commercial rubs I like, sugar is the main ingredient and salt is usually 3rd or 4th down the list. When I make my own, I use at least 4:1 sugar to salt, sometimes as high as 8:1.

Well, I tried some baby backs again this weekend. This time I followed BRITU recipe exactly except for the wood. (I only have hickory right now.) I am very happy that the ribs were outstanding! Not dry or salty but rather tender with a great taste. I couldn't believe how easily the meat pulled off the bone.

I did have to add more charcoal to get the temp up between 150-175. I figure controlling the temp will become easier with practice. For now, adding more fuel worked just fine. Thanks for all the help.
GO CUBS!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back