Ribs...lie flat or stand up?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'm going to try some ribs early next week. I've seen lots of articles about ribs laying rib side down, and others putting them into the rib rack or skewered (ala Virtual).

Is there a big difference, or is it a matter of getting more meat on the grill by standing them up?

Thanks

Some think standing on edge helps fat render off better, but it's mostly just a space-saving device. Fat rendering is more a function of time than anything else. Laid flat, I think most people leave them bone side down and maybe flip them end-for-end to allow for hot spots. In a rack, turning them over and end-for-end seems the norm.

I did my first six racks using the BRITU recipe in this forum. They came out great! I used the charbroil rib racks because they will fit more then the Weber. They are made a lot cheaper and you can bend them. I got the tip from another member of this forum.

Good luck!

Craig

Hi Gary,

I've cooked ribs standing up and lying down and haven't notice any difference. In the past I used a rib rack, but if I filled the rack up, the ends still dried out since with a full rack I was unable to fold the ends back into the rack. So, I typically roll my ribs and that works out great. The ends never dry out and I can typically get 5 BB racks on each grate.

Good Luck!

-mc

Here is a little tip I tried over the 4th of July weekend that worked well for me? I had 13 slabs of rib to smoke at the same time and used two rib racks on the WSM. I didn?t want the ribs to touch however with that many it was impossible to keep them from lying against each other. I also noticed the tips were laying over the edge of the grate where they would get over cooked? I took Bamboo skewers and ran through the top of the ribs to help keep them from touching. I also turned the tips to keep them from hanging over the edge and skewered them in place. Eight slabs on the top and five on the bottom? They turned out great? /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Cheers!!!

bugg /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I took Bamboo skewers and ran through the top of the ribs to help keep them from touching. I also turned the tips to keep them from hanging over the edge and skewered them in place. Eight slabs on the top and five on the bottom? They turned out great? /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Nice. You got a picture of that at all? curious to see how it looked. I'm gonna try some ribs on Thursday or Friday...but not that many

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back