Ribs in Rib Racks

Jason B

TVWBB Fan
Anyone else think maybe the rib rack itself could detract from some of the flavor being imparted into ribs from the smoke?

With those half racks tightly tucked into the slots it seems to me air flow would be inhibited somewhat.

I'm probably just being overzealous, but wondered if anyone else had the same line of thinking.

I used the bamboo skewers and curled the ribs in the past. Granted, the rib racks are easier, just don't want to do easy at the cost of flavor!

Hi Jason,

I don't think the rack could make that much difference.

I've seen people, although I haven't actually done it, stack 3 slabs one on top of the other and rotate throughout the cook. No discernable (sp?) taste difference at all.

Lots of smoke in there, and plenty of love to go around!!

Just my $.02, and probably worth half of that. In Confederate money.

Good Luck with your Cooking!!!

Jason,
As long as there is a little gap between the ribs they'll be fine. I do three racks of spares cut in half regularly using the Weber rack with no problems. I've done 4 racks twice with no problems as well. If you're doing baby backs you can do even more. I believe Kevin Taylor (Stogie) has done 10 racks of BB's before on the WSM.

I am trying to decide if I can smoke 12 slabs of Baby Backs rib (BBRs) at one time in my WSM. Looks like Kevin Taylor has done 11. I was thinking about using 2 Weber 3601 racks with 2 slabs on the outsides (for a total of 6 slabs per level) or curling 6 slabs per level with kabob spears.

Any thoughts or better suggestions on how to do 12 slabs of BBRs in my WSM?

thanks, Brian

Jason,

I've had better results without a rib rack. I just bought a very nice (and expensive) rack. I want so badly for it to work well so that I can do more ribs at once. I've used it on my WSM as well as offset with similar results. Top gets a little too well done and the bottom doesn't get enough smoke. I cook em around 250º. I've cooked many, many racks laying flat and never had a problem. This is my third and last rack. I just need to get a bigger pit
icon_smile.gif

Back