Ribs, how much

cdvickers

I am cooking Spareribs for 6-8 people this weekend. I am fairly new top the rib game, so I was wondering about how many racks I should get.

I should mention that though there will be plenty of sides, there will be people (my self included) that have healthy appetites.

I would have to say at least a full rack per person. On average with several sides a half rack is not enough and a full rack is sometimes to much. I usually cut them apart after smoking into peices of 3 or 4 ribs each, then everyone can get as few or as many as they like.

Those are very healthy appetites.

The spares I do are 4-4.5 lbs untrimmed weight. I figure 1 slab per 3 people. With apps and sides, I have always had enough. For 6-8 people I'd do 4 since I'd have the room; likely I'd have leftovers.

Kevin, I'm glad you chimed in on this because I was just about to ask what constitutes a "full rack". Is there any sort of standard or do you just approximate it based on weight? Is there a standard for restaurants? The reason I ask is similar to your example. When I buy spares or baby backs at Costco, the spares are usually in the 4 - 4.5 lb range per slab (2 per pack) and the baby backs come 3 in a pack with each pack weighing between 6.5 lbs to 9 lbs is some cases. I usually cut them in half before putting them on the WSM depending upon how much I am cooking. Anyway, thanks for any input on this.

My very rough, poor guide (but seems to have served me well enough) has been 1 rack of spares for every 2 people. If I were doing baby backs, then 2 racks for every 3 people. Those allow for plenty of meat. And if there are leftovers, all the better for me!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adam clyde:
My very rough, poor guide (but seems to have served me well enough) has been 1 rack of spares for every 2 people. If I were doing baby backs, then 2 racks for every 3 people. Those allow for plenty of meat. And if there are leftovers, all the better for me! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ditto on the spares. Baby Backs, I can easily down one
icon_biggrin.gif

Rich--

No, there is no standard full or whole rack. It just means the entire slab, all the bones included. A full rack of spares could be 4.5 lbs, 5 lbs, or 3 lbs, e.g., depending on what size the pig was when slaughtered. Spares in the 4-4.5 range seem to be the most prevalent.

In restaurants a full rack just means a whole rack of ribs, usually trimmed, sometimes St Louis style, sometimes not quite so trimmed. There is no weight standard except, perhaps, within the specific restaurant itself. Restaurant 'A' might always specify a 4-4.5-lb rack size to their supplier; Restaurant 'B' might specify 3-3.5, say.

Try one pound per person (babybacks) and then add a pound. You should do fine as long as the sides are good. Though with the poker club I up it to 2lbs per person! That group is all guys, big carnivores, beer is the side!

CD
One more thing make sure you plan enough time to cook the slabs. Mine always take longer than expected. Also most people I cook for want fall of the bone tender ribs so I would suggest foiling for at least 1.5hours the return to the cooker checking tenderness between the bones with a toothpick.

Good Luck
Enjoy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by cdvickers:
I am cooking Spareribs for 6-8 people this weekend. I am fairly new top the rib game, so I was wondering about how many racks I should get.

I should mention that though there will be plenty of sides, there will be people (my self included) that have healthy appetites. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is a question that will get many different answers depending on who you talk to. And I'm no different but here goes:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>Men = 2/3rds of a rack/person
<LI>Women = 1/3rd of a rack/person
<LI>Young children = 2 rib bones/child[/list]

The amount of your sides are also a key player. The more the sides, the more you can stretch it. In general for every couple I invite I plan on one full rack. One major exception is if you invite a young Marine on active duty, he gets 1 1/2 racks for himself!

Back