Ribs for dinner today

Andy Kaminski

TVWBB All-Star
My daughter and her boyfriend came over for dinner today and ribs were on the menu.
It was bread baking day so I think she came over to weasel a loaf off me as well, but she did bring cake :).

These were simple 2 - 1-1/2 - 1 ribs that I hung in my 18, wrapped and then put back on for glazing.
Nothing special but very tasty and good enough for my kid to want to take home all the leftovers.

Attachments

• IMG_4982.jpeg
    IMG_4982.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1143.jpeg
    IMG_1143.jpeg
    161.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1144.jpeg
    IMG_1144.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 18
Nice. Looks like a Hunsaker. I have one of those Hunsaker vortex baskets for my OKJ Bronco, but I haven't used it yet for hanging pork ribs. I will have to try it some day. I like the way you curled them at the top to make room at the bottom.

This 18 does an ok job on ribs but it is a rather small smoker for doing ribs imo.
You are not going to lay down two racks of ribs flat on one grate in these 18’s.
Even when I cut them in half I had to kinda stack them during the wrap and then use that wire rack thingy to set a glaze on them, but hey it works.
The vortex and hanging rack really improves these cooks.
I am a fan of the vortex heat diffuser.
It adds flavor to the cooks.
I think my best tasting pork butts are from using the vortex defuser and just the top grate on this 18.
It’s like a big ole flavor bar.

Back