Ribs/Ends Dry

John Furdyn

TVWBB Pro
Just finished first smoke on my newly modified Brinkmann. Went pretty well, held temp @ 250 for around 5 hrs. Can't believe what a little Damper, some extra holes, and added charcoal grate could do. The Ribs 3.5 lbs, Trrimmed St louis style, were good, but the ends we a little dry. Any ideas what I did wrong.
John

Yes. You bought a Brinkman! J/K! Well not really. Those tend to be my favorite pieces, but there are 3 things that could help.
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>Get a rib rack
<LI>Spray apple juice on the ends
<LI>Roll the ribs and skewer them.
[/list]

Hope this helps!

Spraying/mopping/basting can speed or slow a cook (and can add a flavor layer), depending what is is the mixture, but will not prevent drying in meat that overcooks. If the ends are dryng because they are overcoking, they are receiving more direct heat than the rest of the meat.

Kevin
Maybe I should roll and skewer them as Jeff suggested. The rack was pretty long, other than cutting them in half, I wonder if I could foil the ends for the first few hours of cooking.
John

Since the ends are overcooking because of direct heat. Try putting son foil under the ends. OR make a foil block of some sort to break up the direct flow of heat coming up the sides.

I'm always a little cautious about letting meat in an imaginary 1.5" ring around the very outside rim of the smoker, since that is where there is no water and the heat seems to be rushing by at a higher temperature than the ambient temp.

Back